Edge Quenching 1095???

Another thing to mention here is whether what is wanted here is a quench line or a soft spine. Edge quenching will give a soft spine, unless an air quenching or partially air quenching steel is used. The latter case makes me suspicious of using something as complex as 52100 for edge quenching, but it may well work. A quench line is another matter. That may need a little help. Some people have had a quench line or a hamon show up during grinding. I saw that at a hammer-in where Aldo introduced some smiths there to the 1095 he carries. Some times, like when I used some 9260, it won't show up until it is etched. Don't assume that there is no quench line or hamon until you've take the process the whole way.

Doug

thanks guys, i will give the 1095 a try hopefully this weekend if i get some wife chores out of the way. I am generally not prone to panic so hopefully i can keep things contained.

Would the general rule with 1095 being where you have to have it out of the oven and in the oil in about 1 sec still apply to edge quenching? if not i would maybe opt to try this outside of my garage in case a accident did happen, it would take me just a couple of seconds to get out of the garage but i am not sure if that would still allow for proper hardnening with the properties of 1095

thanks for all the info
steve

The one second rule is a little overstated but still the parts of the blade that you want to harden must be in the quendchant when the steel falls below lower critical temperature and fall rapidly to beat the nose of the IT curve because the short time with 1095 doesn't give any wiggle room. It's really a good idea for any steel.

Doug

The one second rule is not based on time getting to the quenchant, it is based on the cooling rate of the quench itself. That's not saying that you can waste a great deal of time getting it in the quench, but you don't have to be concerned if that takes a tad more than one second. Ideally, 1095 requires, acually, under one second to cool from 1475° to under 900°, once in the quench, or it will begin forming pearlite rather than martensite. You should really have your quench right by your heat source to minimize the time getting to the quench, but it is not necessary to do than in just one second. 1.5/2 seconds maybe.

Back