EDC construction

DKknives

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place for construction question. I am building myself an everyday carry modified chute knife. 3" blade, 1/8" thick, hidden tang.

The question is if the tang is 1/8" thick, would 3/8" wide and 3" long be substantial enough?

Thanks very much for any comments or direction you may have.

Have a good 4th!

Dee

I like to have my hidden tangs as wide as possible, I think 1/2" would be better, but most of all make sure that you round any inside corners where the tang meets the racosso, to eliminate stress risers that create a weak point no matter how big the tang is. Hope this helps.
Dale

Dale is right, generally more tang is better as long as there's some room along the edges so the handle material doesn't get sanded through when you shape it. Take into account if/how much you want the handle to curve down.

On the other hand, for a small knife like that I don't think it's really critical. 3/8" would probably be just fine and allow some wiggle-room in shaping the handle. Mora's have hardly any tang at all and many people use them pretty hard.

Dale's also right that slight radius on the tang/ricasso junction is always good.

Thanks james, i have drawn the design ahd 3/8" gives me great room for handle shaping your right about the mora i have batoned mine countless times with no damage. thanks agin

Back