DVD Passaround

yeah, i ordered this blank off ebay, and some black micarta. Im going to use corbys to attach it. Still need to pick out the glue/epoxy i need to use.

I picked up a small belt sander from HF for $40. I know its not top notch quality, but ill just be using it for handle shaping. I dont plan on grinding blades right now, I want to get a few kits under my belt first

If you have a Woodcraft Co. store near you, the epoxy to use is T88. It has to cure overnight but holds well and gives you a little working time during assembly.

Also make sure your corby bolts are seated deeply in your scale stock or when you shape your handles you may grind through into the holes. I measure the depth of the tapped holes in my corbys and make sure this doesn't pop thru.

Steve

Any idea of the order for receiving the DVD? I just got my Modern Skinner kit today.
Thanks
-Al

Just put in an order to knifekits w/this DVD among other stuff. You can scratch my name off of the mailing list. Thanks!!!

Just got it the other day but it is a bit scratched up so I am going to have to track down one of the disc cleaner things and get it buffed. Should be able to pass it on shortly after i get it cleaned.

This subject came up on the leather craft forum regarding passing around my DVD and here are my thoughts:

Guys - I understand about passing things around especially when moneys tight, but realize that, passing around rather than buying my DVD or any one else's, means taking money out of my/our pocket and these days even a little bit helps big time since my DVD's and leather/knife craft are my only means of support - my wife and I have no other income and we are not rich by any means.

Bottomline - no I can't stop you but maybe seeing things from the other side will perhaps put an end to this passing around folks copyrighted works for free (unless of course permission is sought and granted by the publisher, etc. or it's your own DVD) and help support those (like me) that love this work so much that we've given up on being rich (monetarily anyway), yet are always willing to help and pass on our knowledge for free via forums and tutorials. Again passing around mine or anyone elses commercial DVD's, is in fact taking much needed cash out of our pockets..........just put your self in my shoes.........

Chuck,
You are absolutely correct, but you know it was just passed out to some newbies to spark some interest in knifemaking.
I guess it's not any different than showing the a video at a club meeting or running it on a loop at a hammer-in or show, but that still doesn't make it right, I suppose. I certainly never intended to hurt anyone's livelihood.

Don't know what can be done at this point short of telling whoever has it now to keep it or destroy it. I really don't need it back.

How do you guys suggest that youtube clips that are cuts from commercial videos and are submitted or attached to threads be handled?

I will happily sacrifice this DVD but don't know if we can police the forums for other pass arounds or info sharing. Seems like a razors edge fine line when you consider that the primary function of these types of forums is the propagation of our interests through informative instruction.

Steve

This might get as heated as asking if a knife is still hand made if a jig is used. I was the guy that started this ruckus over on the sheath forum. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong I didn’t ask for payment; just ask if anyone wanted to watch a good DVD. I had no idea it was a copyright violation to share it.
I purchased this DVD because I had viewed another one of his and liked what I saw. I kinda viewed the pass-around as free advertisement.

Doug,
It isn't copyright infringement, so don't worry about that..
Loaning out a video is not a crime, only the unauthorized copy of it is. Go to a garage sale and you can buy one VHS and get one free. Colleges and schools rebuy and sell textbooks from students with no retribution paid to the author or publisher.
The only real question here is that in cottage industries such as ours, every little bit of revenue is sacred, and no one wants to get hurt.

Steve

Steve and others, I think in this particular situation no need to worry because the dvd is too scratched up even after a "buffing" on one of the dvd scratch remover machines. It is basically junk the way it sits, and I didn't even get to watch it :(

Back