drying a Cedar Burl

rnielsen

Hi I recieved a yellow cedar burl from my brother in law My plan is to cut into it and see what it looks like, if it is good I am going to have a friend of mine stabalize it my question is how long should I let it dry out before I cut it up, The piece was cut from the tree a few years ago, and has been stored outside in a very moist climate since???

rnelsen, yellow cedar burl can be really beautiful stuff!!

What I would do is to bring it inside and let it acclimate to my shop for at least a few months. More is better. Then when I did cut into it, I would most likely cut it into over sized slabs and then let them dry for another few months. B4 I cut into blocks.. and then I would stack and sticker them and let them dry further b4 sending out to stabilizer..

The thing I have learned, and learned the hard way is, you dont want to cut burl b4 its good and dry. or it will crack up and it always seems to crack in the "Best" figured area! lol I Always cut my blocks larger then the sizes I want to allow for warpage and or cracks. Some may come from further drying after its cut and sometimes stabilzation causes cracks and twisting of a block.

Tell ya what, I can save you alot of work, just send it to me, Ill take good care of it! :) lol

Have fun and good luck, I also want to say, this is just my way, not the only way, and quite possibly not the best way. Just tryin to help!

God Bless
Randy

Back