Drop point hunter

jonathan creason

This one is made out of 1084 steel, edge quenched. It's 9.25" OAL, with 4.5" of sharp. The scales are walnut, with copper pins. I'd love any critiques or criticisms before I finish it out.

hunter2_zps66f45677.jpg

Nice looking knife. Looks like you could use more sanding around the pins. I've found that putting tape on the scales when I drill the holes out helps keep the scale from breaking out at the ends. Also if you just put a slight taper on the end of the pin before you feed it through it will help to not catch on the edge of the hole. As a personal note, I would have backed the scales up a little farther from the bevel, but that's no big deal. I like walnut. It can be an atractive wood after finishing. There really isnt anything wrong with your knife, the shape is awesome. But you probably want to focus on asthetics if you want to sell it. The rustic look of the blade is a great selling point, and I think walnut is a great compliment. The handle is a little long for my taste. I like my handles to extend just past my pinky finger.
I feel like I am dumping on you, and that's not my intent. I just want you to be successful and be able to get the maximum dollar for your work.
Hope my comments have helped and not upset you.

I've only done one drop point hunter myself but i like your take on the knife and really like the walnut handles. and the size isnt that bad thing either.

Thanks guys. I spent some time yesterday cleaning things up. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take the scales down completely under the chip out and still have enough meat left for a comfortable handle. Going to just finish it up and chalk it up as a learning experience.

I don't know, maybe it's the angle of the camera, but that handle looks huge! I would use some Tru Oil on that Walnut. Probably about 4 or 5 coats to begin with. Other than that, I like the overall design. Nice work.

It probably is a tad big, Don but I think the angle makes it look a lot worse than it is.

Finally got everything finished up on it. Once again, all criticisms and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.
hunter1.jpg

Yeah, photobucket is being a pain so I'm trying Picsaweb but I haven't figured out how to direct link from there yet. I'm still tinkering with it so hopefully I'll have a decent pic soon.

Nice and clean. The porportion and profile looks good to me. The knife looks comfortable in hand as you have rounded out the handle well. I like a basic knife with a hamon as it gives it a sort of rustic character without being fancy in my opinion. Well done.

Back