double qeunching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin makes a good point. The steel will determine the processes that will work for them. They each have their own characteristics and requirements and meeting those requirements will determine how well you will do with the steel reguardless of the equiptment that you have. Of course there are complex steels that work better with heat sources that can be more closely controlled but with skill you might be able to use a gas or solid fuel forge with. It will just be harder. You can also get satisfactory results without the more compex equiptment but not optimal results. There is something to be said for why make an acceptable knife with O1 when you can make an excellent knife with 1084 however. There is nothing majic about any one steel. There's just the ability to work with it.

Doug

Well said Kevin , I agree on just about everything you said . Bleeding is still used in lots of hospitals to rid your body of excess iron as in hemochromadiosis and leeches and maggots are still used to cure infections in many medical centers that, cant be cured by antibiotics. most medicines are made from plants or dirivitives of them . I contracted Hep "C' when I was injured in vietnam . I took interferon was allergic to the preservatives propylene glycol or ethylene glycol the active ingredient in antifreeze so, I took a natural herb called milk thistle ,a common plant . I threw off the virus . so all new meds are not always better. I have never heard of a recall yet on maggots. I agree completely about steel ,and using the right kind . I try and use the lowest alloy steel I can find . Thats why I make a bloom of tamahagane whenever I can . The beauty and sharpness of a well made japanese sword is unsurpassed. but, I respect others opinions. the indian wootz in some areas had natural 15% chromium although most of those mines are played out . The japanese collaborated with india and made swords that were a mix of both steels . This is well documented . That is progress. I also concur on using the right steel for a specific tool or knife depends what you want to use them for . I specificly like 1075 low alloy, its about as close as you can get to japanese jewel steel . open discourse is good, its how people learn ....... respectfully James J. Bieler contributing member JSSUS

Attachments

• tamahagane billet 001.jpg
    tamahagane billet 001.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 14
  • tamahagane billet 002.jpg
    tamahagane billet 002.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The use of ores of differing chemical composition is unavoidable and often referred to in a stretch to compare with intentional alloying, especially since chromium wasn’t even identified as an element until the late 18th century. For that matter Chinese swords intentionally incorporating chrome coating have also been dated back to the Qin dynasty, much more impressive than trace elements in ore, but that still doesn’t equate to 440C.

The Key Role of Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades is indeed well documented and this link will take you that very popular paper, if you have a link to the information about the Japanese use of chromium steels, putting them together would be a good read for many visitors to this thread.

Powerful pharmaceuticals need to be carefully administered with a sound knowledge of medicine and chemistry, just like modern alloy steels need to be worked accordingly. For sure with such potent chemistry there have been recalls, but a whole lot more people needlessly died from bleeding and fighting evil spirits instead of the pathogens that cause disease. This can easily be boiled down to one question- I get toned out in the middle of the night to extricate a loved one from a mangled mess on the highway, the vitals are going south fast, just down the road there is an herbalist/shaman/old school healer, or there is a hospital with all that new fangled gadgetry, drugs to be recalled in the future, but no maggots to be found… where do you want me to send them?

...The beauty and sharpness of a well made japanese sword is unsurpassed. but, I respect others opinions...

On the other hand, in my opinion, from the gladius that conquered half the world to masterfully welded Saxon blades and exquisitely decorated rapiers, many western swords have no equal in function or aesthetics, but as you say, opinions are just that and must be respected as such.

My circumstances make it best for me to just work with facts, you see Bubba I am in a touchy position here at this forum, I am listed as a moderator but I was actually asked to participate here to provide the most factual heat treating information I can. To do that I can’t use anecdotal evidence or what I believe, I need to use what I have actually measured and observed with modern equipment and methods designed specifically to gather that data.

Invariably at every forum I have visited this ends up being perceived as anti-tradition or techno-elitism, when all I am trying to do is provide pure, objective facts instead of assumptions or opinions. And I assure you that is all I am doing here. It is a valid opinion that the 2% gained from some extra control may never be noticed in the blades use, but it is still a fact that there is a difference in the results regardless of whether they are noticed in the big picture.

Most folks simply work with the knowledge that the blade is hard, it skates a file, but in my efforts to provide objective information I need to measure martensite percentages to give a more accurate picture. To most, peanut oil quenching skates a file just as well as Parks #50, but I have actually seen the percentages of martensite formed by both, and thus honesty robs me of the ability say there is no difference. It has been my unfortunate experience that many of the peanut oil guys will hate the messenger rather than hearing the message.

I hope that is not the case here and from your PM I can see it probably is not, but rather we have totally different tastes and approaches to our craft, here is just one fun example to illustrate that:

bloom.jpg

This is one of my pictures of my bloomery steel I made from magnetite ore, Europe’s version of tamahagane, from the inside at 400X. Both images of the same type of product, just from entirely different perspectives. :3:

The use of ores of differing chemical composition is unavoidable and often referred to in a stretch to compare with intentional alloying, especially since chromium wasn’t even identified as an element until the late 18th century. For that matter Chinese swords intentionally incorporating chrome coating have also been dated back to the Qin dynasty, much more impressive than trace elements in ore, but that still doesn’t equate to 440C.

The Key Role of Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades is indeed well documented and this link will take you that very popular paper, if you have a link to the information about the Japanese use of chromium steels, putting them together would be a good read for many visitors to this thread.

Powerful pharmaceuticals need to be carefully administered with a sound knowledge of medicine and chemistry, just like modern alloy steels need to be worked accordingly. For sure with such potent chemistry there have been recalls, but a whole lot more people needlessly died from bleeding and fighting evil spirits instead of the pathogens that cause disease. This can easily be boiled down to one question- I get toned out in the middle of the night to extricate a loved one from a mangled mess on the highway, the vitals are going south fast, just down the road there is an herbalist/shaman/old school healer, or there is a hospital with all that new fangled gadgetry, drugs to be recalled in the future, but no maggots to be found… where do you want me to send them?

On the other hand, in my opinion, from the gladius that conquered half the world to masterfully welded Saxon blades and exquisitely decorated rapiers, many western swords have no equal in function or aesthetics, but as you say, opinions are just that and must be respected as such.

My circumstances make it best for me to just work with facts, you see Bubba I am in a touchy position here at this forum, I am listed as a moderator but I was actually asked to participate here to provide the most factual heat treating information I can. To do that I can’t use anecdotal evidence or what I believe, I need to use what I have actually measured and observed with modern equipment and methods designed specifically to gather that data.

Invariably at every forum I have visited this ends up being perceived as anti-tradition or techno-elitism, when all I am trying to do is provide pure, objective facts instead of assumptions or opinions. And I assure you that is all I am doing here. It is a valid opinion that the 2% gained from some extra control may never be noticed in the blades use, but it is still a fact that there is a difference in the results regardless of whether they are noticed in the big picture.

Most folks simply work with the knowledge that the blade is hard, it skates a file, but in my efforts to provide objective information I need to measure martensite percentages to give a more accurate picture. To most, peanut oil quenching skates a file just as well as Parks #50, but I have actually seen the percentages of martensite formed by both, and thus honesty robs me of the ability say there is no difference. It has been my unfortunate experience that many of the peanut oil guys will hate the messenger rather than hearing the message.

I hope that is not the case here and from your PM I can see it probably is not, but rather we have totally different tastes and approaches to our craft, here is just one fun example to illustrate that:

bloom.jpg

This is one of my pictures of my bloomery steel I made from magnetite ore, Europe’s version of tamahagane, from the inside at 400X. Both images of the same type of product, just from entirely different perspectives. :3:

I think you missunderstood what I said , it was natural occuring element not intentional 15 % (chromium ) the japanese collaborated with india and some wootz was incorporated in tamehagane swords I can prove it . if you care to make a small wager?????

please read namban steel and Hizen swords by DR Francisco A.B. Coutinho university of sao Pablo , or look for reprint of article in october 2009 japanese sword society united states . I sent him an email for reprint . Cheers

Last edited:
....it was natural occuring element not intentional 15 % (chromium ) the japanese collaborated with india and some wootz was incorporated in tamehagane swords I can prove it . if you care to make a small wager?????

It may be better to keep hard earned specialized bladesmithing techniques secret.

j/kidding around bubba-san, Craig

Seems simple enough to me! (Yeah, right!)

So the basic premises are:

1. Multiple quenches essentially came about from individuals discovering a "band-aid" fix for what was actually improper heat treating procedures for the steel at hand.

2. If we wish to use simple HT procedures, we need to use simple steels.

3. If we wish to take advantage of the properties of a different/more complex steel, we should naturally expect different HT procedures to be used in order to realize those properties.
3a). Not using (or having the ability/equipment to use) the proper procedures for a given steel often results in the scurrying rush to find "answers", "fixes", "modifications", etc.
From what I gather, oftentimes "fixing" a problem creates other problems.

If only it were that simple.
I have much to learn.

namban steel and Hizen bladesmiths

thank you . some namban steel had up to 15% chromium (NATURALLY) this from article in JSSUS 2009 I personally know Dr A.B Coutinho. you know Kevin you are a bright fellow however you are not the ultimate authority on steel . Its when you think you know everything about stee l or any thing and refuse to learn , can be a shortcoming . I know a lot about steel quenching I just dont like to broadcast it . Respectfully Bubba

Attachments

• namban steel 002.jpg
    namban steel 002.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11
  • namban steel 003.jpg
    namban steel 003.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 9
  • namban steel 004.jpg
    namban steel 004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 10
  • namban steel 005.jpg
    namban steel 005.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Woah, woah! This internet thing is doing it again, sometimes I think it is the most inefficient mode of communication yet devised. I understood completely that you were talking about natural trace elements in the ore, that is why I linked to the Verhoeven article that supports and fully explains what you were saying about trace metallic elements in wootz steel. That, as you said, is indeed well documented. All I asked was if you had a link to the information about the Japanese utilizing the chromium bearing wootz so that we put them together for some good reading for all concerned. The unanticipated turn in the tone makes me think the misinterpretation may be on your end.

You said that you knew you would get blasted for your approach in this thread and didn’t care, but I did, and wished to take a reasoned approach of simple logic and level headed discussion. But in some way that I do not fully understand I have stepped on some of your toes Bubba, let me know how I can rectify that, before we go to wagering anything.

Bubba, You posted as I was posting. I have some questions now, but am quite hesitant to ask for fear of angering you any further without knowing how I have offended.

edited to add- P.S. for what it is worth I applaud you for referencing a book instead of a simple internet link, in these days of Wikipedia education I value real books.

Last edited:
Kevin, It takes 2 to tango but, I am not angry,. just a little dissapointed . I am an older fella 65 and I learn something everyday
its when someone refuses to be open to other ideas I get a little steamed . we can be friends for sure . I value your knowledge and I hope you feel the same about me .We can agree to disagree on some topics. thanks and best regards ... James J Bieler Bubba-san

chromium wootz cake 15%

Kevin Now that we are friends again , I have something to show you from my collection . 3 wootz cakes that were brought back from India by a friend s father who is a kossack ,right after ww2 . two of them are regular wootz but the third is one that was essayed to have 15% chromium . they are circa 1650 and has not rusted at all . I still have it . although they are much more scarce . enjoy .

Attachments

• baked_wootz.jpg
    baked_wootz.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 17
  • crucible%20wootz%20steel%20001.jpg
    crucible%20wootz%20steel%20001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ok, Rob, let's deal with the points one at a time.

1. Multiple quenches have their advantages and disadvantages, which have been discussed. The technique is not necessarily a "bandaid fix" but it can be. If you want to run the risk, which is lower if you are using a hypoeutectic steel, you may get smaller grain than you can with multiple normalizations. If you are working with an air hardening steel this is about the only way to refine the grain with heat treating.

2. Right on. Match to process to the steel and the steel to the process, depending on where you want to start with the problem.

3. Right again.

3a. Yes, no, maybe. In the example that Kevin sited earier in the discussion on what is happening when some people use multiple quenches, the person probably did not know that he was disolving the carbon into the austinite in stages. He just knew that the technique improve the blade performance. Sometimes scurrying to find answeres, fixes, and modifications is called adapting your process/equiptment to the work. As far as the fixes creating other problems, that's just knife making. It's full of trade-offs and sometimes they just lead to an arguement whether the best is the enemy of the good or the good is the enemy of the best. I like to stay out of that one.

Doug

Well good, if we are friends again I will chance some of my questions, please forgive me if they are out of line. After seeing the edited additions to your posts I may be totally misinterpreting you after all since I do have the full newsletter article “Namban steel and Hizen swords: a provocative hypothesis” by Francisco A.B. Cuotinho, of which you pictured snippets. I have re-read it several times now and can find no mention of chromium, so I guess I must confess to not totally understanding your position after all.

But on the topic of wootz taken to Japan, I have heard the idea more than once and have always been open to the idea since trade always seems to have been wider in the old world than we often give credit for, but even the article admits that it is “far from proof” as the title “a provocative hypothesis” suggests. Ric Furrer also points out that the cast steel ingot pictured in the article is not wootz but another dendritic product that he saw in India and is familair with.

Something that I love about the article is this –

“Note that the folding process can only lower the carbon content. For the best result it is advantageous to start with steel with a high percentage of carbon, although if this content is too high (as it is in the Indian wootz) the process is difficult.”

The author is to be commended for this refreshing bit of fact instead of continuing the age old myths of adding carbon in forging. Kudos and a hearty thumbs up for that!

As for the wootz ingots, the first two look cool and I would be happy about that acquisition. However on the rounder one with high chrome, I do not wish to be the bad messenger any longer and so I would strongly urge you to get together with Ric Furrer or Jeff Pringle about it.

P.S.
...you know Kevin you are a bright fellow however you are not the ultimate authority on steel. Its when you think you know everything about stee l or any thing and refuse to learn , can be a shortcoming...
Although this was regretibly not very friendly, and quite unfair since I have never claimed to be the ultimate authority on anything, I will still keep my hand of friendship extended.

We are all victims of the Internet some days. Tone and cadence and non-verbal communication suffers and the blanks left are filled in by the receiver. Put passion for knifemaking on top of that coupled with with a smattering of science, theory, observation, romance and myth it's amazing we aren't all squaring off very day. While everyone has been fairly civil and polite it is clear there is some tension so I will close this thread for a few weeks and re-open it then.

No big deal. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back