DIY HT oven brick and mortar question

funkyjedi

Hey all! I am about halfway through bricking out my HT oven, and I have to say, mortaring these k23's together is a nightmare. I have been using sairbond refractory mortar, and no matter what, I cant get things to stick. The bricks literally suck the water out of the mortar right before your eyes. Even dipping the bricks in water has not really helped. So, I have two questions for you guys:

1) Any ideas on other ways to mortar the refractory bricks together?

2) Any ideas as to how long this refractory mortar takes to dry? I called the company that sells it and got a pretty vague answer.

I am at a loss, and literally wasting time waiting for these things to set up. When I get several days out, I go out to check them, and the joints just pop apart. Infuriating doesn't describe the feeling. Its been weeks of this. different textures, different amounts of water, etc. I have used the manufacturer's recommendation for mix, experimented, etc. I have 4 bricks that stuck and thats it. I think I might be going crazy.

Thanks in advance.

chris

Why are you mortaring them together?

I have built 5 or 6 HT ovens to date and gave up on mortaring them after about the third failed attempt to stick a couple of bricks together. They work fine with dry joints.

If you need to prevent movement, a very useful cheat that I have found is to pin the bricks together with welding rod.

There is an old model engineering trick for drilling flat-bottomed holes or deep straight holes with a shop-made tool known as a D-bit. Basically, the end of a tool-steel round is ground away to leave a semicircle and a little bit or relief is ground on the end. The tool is hardened and it will then drill holes.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/MillStuff/CNC/OneShot/P1010859.JPG

D-bits are fairly horrible to use for deep holes because the only place for the chips to go is into the space left by the semicircle and it's not a very big space at all. As a result you are continually pecking to remove the chips.

When drilling IFB though, the "chips" are dust and, with a small hole diameter, the material you are drilling has enough voids to accept the dust as fast as it is produced. For IFB, the D-bit does not even need to be hardened if it is a one-hit job. I therefore just grind a D-bit on the end of a 3' long, 3/32" diameter welding rod and use a cordless drill to drill all the way through the IFBs, leaving it in place and nipping off the extra with end-cutters. I use stainless TIG welding rods because I have them, but I see no reason why mild steel would not work just as well.

The D-bit follows an existing hole direction very well, but it really needs a starter hole, drilled with a normal twist drill, to give it a start. Obviously it is important to get the direction of the starter hole right.

Oh man. You just made my week. I could actually have this thing built in a day via that method. I have hope again! Thank you SO SO SO much for this! I have been walking circles in my garage cursing the knife making bug, but things are looking up. I will do exactly as you said and pin those rascals together. Lowes has mild steel rod in the right diameter, so I will pick some of those up and get it together.

I really do appreciate the reply. Thanks again!

It's what the forum is for.

Please let us know how you get on and post some pics when it's done.

a38bd3022eeff5fa21ad43edb85f07e0.jpg

Getting closer. Will be working on electronics next.

Back