Direct Drive a Treadmill Motor

jonathan creason

I'm getting ready to start working on my NWG and have a motor question. We've got a treadmill taking up space in our bedroom and I'd like to rob the motor out of it for the time being. I'd like to set it up as a direct drive with the hopes of being able to upgrade my shop to 220v and getting a better motor in the next year. Anyone have experience with this, and if so what will I need? Do I need a pillow block for the shaft? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just having a hard time picturing it in my head.

You can do fine with 110v and I have used treadmill motors in the past.
The pillow block is if you want to set up a direct drive and that is about all I can help with that.
A step Pulley will work also but the direct is better if you can afford it.

Wayne Coe has a Forum here on KD and he can tell you what variable controller etc you will need to run that motor.

Good luck.

Laurence

I thought about this also. You can get a treadmill at a yard sale for next to nothing and they usually don't have much use on them. Why the seperate controller? The treadmill has a speed controll in it. Can't you just rob the controller out of it same as the motor?

I thought about this also. You can get a treadmill at a yard sale for next to nothing and they usually don't have much use on them. Why the seperate controller? The treadmill has a speed controll in it. Can't you just rob the controller out of it same as the motor?

You want a Knob rpm controller. Not a programmed hill & valley setup.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

You can! I made a 9" horizontal disk grinder out of my wife's old treadmill motor,took all the associated speed controls and mounted them in an old tool box and use it every day. I got another treadmill sitting in my shop right now and will make another disk grinder from it soon.
GO FOR IT!

The motor on a treadmill is DC. You will need a DC controller. You can use the one on the treadmill. Biggest problem is the drive shaft size and getting an approprate sized drive wheel for the motor. Also it is not a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor and the metal grindings will soon short out the motor.

You may want to set this up and then contact me when the motor goes out and you can go to an AC setup with better power and torque.

Let me know if I can help you.

Back