Diamond Penetrator For Hardness Test

KenH

Has anyone used a Diamond Penetrator from China on a Rockwell? This one is what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251635510059?

I asked the vendor and got a response that it was for Rockwell "C" use and the tip was a 120º angle - I think that's what is used in our testers?

Ken H>

Personally, I'd pass on that. if it's one thing I wouldn't buy that's made in china, it's anything labeled as being diamond.
I would never be able to remove all doubt knowing I'm using a penetrator made in China. that's just me though.

An update here - I did order a diamond penetrator for my Grizzly hardness tester - got it today. Laying side by side with the one removed from tester - can't tell difference in them. I suspect they might well be made in the same factory since the Grizzly is Chinese manuf.

Testing on a test block the $31 Chinese diamond gave the same readings as the one that came in tester. I expected it to need recalibrating, but doesn't seem to need it. For $31 I'm glad I ordered and have a spare - not that I expect to ever need a spare.

Ken H>

An update almost a year later on the diamond penetrator that I purchased for $31..... darn price has dropped to $10 now!! AND - it seems to be working just fine. From looking at the unit I ordered laying next to the diamond penetrator that came in the HR150A, they could have dropped off the assembly line in China next to each other. Look just the same, and as I said before, the Rockwell reading on a test block was the same with either penetrator installed.

On the "anything made in China" comment - I don't like buying "made in China", but sometimes there's just no reasonable way around it. The choice was to buy the HR150A from Grizzly, or not have a hardness tester because I surely could NOT afford a new USA made unit.

For $10 it seems like a good idea to have a spare laying around.... just in case.

Ken H>

I had the same choice for a Wilson hardness tester, a low price diamond from China or a $250.00 diamond from a US supplier. I can't tell the difference in performance.

On the China comment, I have a patented product that I invented and market, the basic process is laser cut, brake, weld, powder coat and assemble. I have them manufactured at two locations in the US and in China. The US cost is $60.00 the China cost is $12.00. I can live with paying more for a US product, I have no competition and can charge anything I want, its a safety product and the cost savings from eliminating injuries far out weights the cost of the product. But the China parts are better, they are consistent and they deliver on time. Being in manufacturing for 45 years it saddens me to say this, but it is a fact of life.

If you get a cheap piece of junk from China, it's because US retailers have decided thats what you want and will pay for. The Chinese will build it exactly to the print and deliver it on schedule.

John

I had the same choice for a Wilson hardness tester, a low price diamond from China or a $250.00 diamond from a US supplier. I can't tell the difference in performance.

On the China comment, I have a patented product that I invented and market, the basic process is laser cut, brake, weld, powder coat and assemble. I have them manufactured at two locations in the US and in China. The US cost is $60.00 the China cost is $12.00. I can live with paying more for a US product, I have no competition and can charge anything I want, its a safety product and the cost savings from eliminating injuries far out weights the cost of the product. But the China parts are better, they are consistent and they deliver on time. Being in manufacturing for 45 years it saddens me to say this, but it is a fact of life.

If you get a cheap piece of junk from China, it's because US retailers have decided thats what you want and will pay for. The Chinese will build it exactly to the print and deliver it on schedule.

John

John you are 100% spot on with your last sentence. I have spent most of the last almost 30 years in Asia Pacific and that is exactly the way it works in most cases. Just like machine shops and manufacturers in the States or In Europe of course there are some that just don't and can not produce or as a biz model choose not to produce quality product. However, on the other hand, particularly now, like it or not, if the requirements are specified and then monitored, with out any doubt the China Factory can deliver a world class product all day. The issue is that the people sourcing product in Asia (not just China) are only shopping for the low cost producer. Then like everything else, they get what they pay for and pass that off to who ever is the end user of the product. My 2cents.

Back