Designs

tucker.stott

I haven't made any of these as of yet as I don't have the equipment to do so. I would appreciate any tips you all have on these draw ups and designs I have made. If any of these are copied please tell me as I do not mean to and as far as I know these are from my own mind. Thanks.
37c8494a87b1962c735527d8f9e6172e.jpg
9c5c7f18cbe5edf4d120a6085b27bb4b.jpg
f754c1fffe01366c7ab239e1d9166088.jpg
7b608de7a098f4d297c9f484c8c09010.jpg
2bc7a6421ffdddc4e45f223c31bf8d89.jpg
bb8f6edee2f52f144a3cfb4aec342b50.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well, I'm sure you'll hear it from somebody, so I'll start. Cool ideas but waaaaayyyy to difficult to pull off for most beginners. If you don't have any equipment at all yet, these are even farther down the road. I think we all probably have an idea book or scraps of paper with drawings on them piled up somewhere, but if you're just starting out, you have to go way simpler. Even if it's not really your style, you should start with a simple drop point hunter, no holes, no recurve blades, etc. But, hey feel free to prove me wrong, you might be a knife prodigy! Share with us what you make and you'll get all the help and advice you want.

Last edited:
Being totally honest and straightforward.............in addition to what was said above, the proportions look considerably off to my eye. The handles look very short compared to the blades. The lines in the some of the handles appear 'lumpy' and abstract and lack natural elegance. These things, of course, are purely subjective so the comments are worth what you paid for them. :)

Now, from a practical standpoint, the large holes coupled with the shape and angles of the handles would make these very limiting in use at best and quite uncomfortable to hold at worst.

From a construction standpoint, the long skinny points of handle materials wrapping around the large holes are weak spots both from a physical and a design standpoint. Those are places where you are just asking for your handle material to break or crack off and it will most likely happen sooner rather than later.

There will be some interesting challenges to overcome with the grind lines and blade shapes you have drawn, though they certainly could be achieved.

I totally agree with the first two posts. Having said that, I would add that when you get a design you are happy with, cut it out of 1/4" plywood or plexiglass, try to grind it that way and swing it around a little and see how it feels.

Just my opinion,
Steve

As a beginner myself I agree with Steve 100% cut the shapes out of something cheaper and easier to work with first, I've learned that doing this with material similar in thickness to the steel you intend to eventually is much more productive

Back