Decisions, decisions...

Self Made Knives

I think this is what I have the hardest time with, wood! I can decide on which g10 or micarta instantly, but when it comes to wood I just sit and stare. I've got a big collection of wood, but I have a terrible anxioty about how it will look in the end product. So, I dug out my stash, and narrowed it down to these, and here I sit staring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 76
I like to pick a piece of wood that goes with the flow of the blank. When the grain of the wood flows down the length of the handle it gives it a longer look. OH! I love Zebra wood!

I sometimes lay the wood against the knife I am working on and then back off a step or two and...............................! If that doesn't work then I go,..........................

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
11.gif
:s12205:

Sorry I just like using that smile, it reminds me of my dog Boo!

Anthony,

You can't pick the wood unless it is for a specific knife. Remember this: the wood makes the knife. Show me the knife, I;ll help you pick the wood.

Wallace

Anthony, your problem is that you have too many great pieces. Send them all to me, I will find you a good one, and send it back to you. The rest will stay in my stash!
- J

Sounds like the zebra is getting the vote. That's what my wife picked too. I was kind of leaning towards koa, but who knows. This one is going to etched and hopefully show some hamon in it. I just rough ground it today, haven't heat treated it yet.

I like the Wenge, or the darker of the Koa's for that knife, but the Zebra wood will look great too. Looking good.

I'm a sucker for anything Ironwood, it doesn't have to be burl either.

Don

While driving home from work today I was thinking about this topic and I remembered seeing someone (Nick Wheeler maybe) use a cut out to pick the best grain orientation. So I tried it, but I also found its a pretty good way of visualizing what the knife will look like. Check it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 16
Good Idea. The Zebra wood looks better than I had thought it would have. How'd the Wenge look?

Looks like it's going to be another fine knife.

Don

The koa has similar lines to the knife if you rotate the scales from where it sits 90° left. But its just my pov. Keep us posted.

The wenge, zebra, and koa looks best to me. The zebra actually is more interesting that I thought it would be too, actually, you can angle the stripes in the wood to match the plunge lines.

All, right, finally decided today. Curly Koa it is. Just held on with temporary pins to profile the scales. These are from my first batch of Cactus Juice stabilizing too.
Hawaii.jpg

Back