Dead Elk Content. Dont look!

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
One of our local hunters has me sharpen his knives. After 17 years of applying for the "branched antler" elk permit he finially drew one. We have some big bulls here in the Blue Mountains just outside of town because of only a couple permits per year are given.

This one scored a whopping 392" He brought the antlers by here to show me. Its huge!

Image3_zps75cd303b.jpg

Image2_zps99b1c6fa.jpg

Image4_zps0f693d26.jpg

The only thing I have to compare that to is a red deer, I've never seen an elk, but even so that thing is rather sizeable. Is the meat good.

I may get a roast or two so will let ya know. Generally big game is great if it was taken in cool weather, skinned right away, hung long enough and packaged right. Of coarse the chef has allot to do with it too. Personally I,ve never had a bad piece of elk. Deer on the other hand can be tough and gamey as most hunters don't take time to field dress them and skin them right away. Most never see a genuine butcher shop either but instead get cut up and packaged the next day. Hanging the animal long enough at about 32 degrees really makes a tender, tasty difference.

That is a monster ...... just think how many knife handles you could make from that huge rack ....... wowee ...... Bubba

I may get a roast or two so will let ya know. Generally big game is great if it was taken in cool weather, skinned right away, hung long enough and packaged right. Of coarse the chef has allot to do with it too. Personally I,ve never had a bad piece of elk. Deer on the other hand can be tough and gamey as most hunters don't take time to field dress them and skin them right away. Most never see a genuine butcher shop either but instead get cut up and packaged the next day. Hanging the animal long enough at about 32 degrees really makes a tender, tasty difference.

Amen Bruce! People tha say they don't like venison like mine.

Back