DD work rest for Kmg Grinder

Anyone have/use this work rest. I am really wanting an adjustable work rest and came across the DD work rest. Looking for feed back. Thanks Sunny

I can honestly say that I need this. As soon as the holidays are over this is my next purchase. At least after the Personalizer.

John

I have looked at it as close as I can. I was interested in its ability to lock in place and if there was any give to it. If it is a solid unit, it will be my next purchase for sure.

Anyone have/use this work rest. I am really wanting an adjustable work rest and came across the DD work rest. Looking for feed back. Thanks Sunny

Sunny,

What does "DD" stand for? I have the work rest built by a forum member designed and built for other members
of KD as well as a few other forums, a few years ago, it was quite spendy but, I will say, worth every PENNY! It's the one that articulates, looks just like it was built by Beaumont! And if you didn't know, you'd automatically assume it was! That is how well built this thing is, and of course I can't recall the name of it. The guy that built it goes by the KD handle, Adam Micheal Knives, or a variation of that, it could be one word or all lowercase, I have seen a couple come up for sale since then, PRIMARILY, because they were getting out of knife making for one reason or another. I can honestly say that, it is probably the second best, after-market purchase I've made, that wasn't from a big company. The 1st being my Bubble Jig! That was the only thing that would have allowed me to continue making knives, given my condition, to what ever degree that I can. But that is one awesomely built work rest, it is infinitely adjustable, with very few limitations, also there was a tweak to it another member figured out, well after it was out for a while. He changed the way it was mounted that allowed an incredible amount of more room by getting the table further away from the last articulating joint, he basically flipped the mount on top of the original place it was mounted, this simple change allowed so much more versality to it, a simple thing like that made a huge chabge in the room needed to grind from the left. This is a great work rest that I can say is pretty dang awesome and every bit as rigid as the KMG is, but as most things in life it does has some drawbacks, not to the degree that I've done anything about it, so,it must not be that bad, I should explain, and thats the fact that you must use a wrench (a LARGE WRENCH!) to make any and all adjustments.

Now my opinion, looking at the type of rest that comes witht the Wilmont, I like it a lot AND I'd say that if I was buying a new grinder today THAT would have a lot of influence on my decision. The fact that when you spend an incredible amount of money for something like this and you end up turning right back around to buy another part that is very costly to help make it (make you) work better, then that's kind of a detraction for the KMG! And a 'Pro' for the Wilmont! Not to mention the ability to flip into a horizontal grinder, then it's a no-brainier, not that I regret buying my KMG, the Wilmont had not yet be born at that time or at least it was not known by me at the time. When you are about to spend a lot of money, you want to research as much as you can, get as much feedback as you can, just so you can make an informed well thought out purchase. In my case, I was probably blinded by the KMG, because that was what everyone was using at the time, maybe not everyone, but a lot of people were. As well as a lot of the Mastersmiths, Ed Cafferey even designed a part and made changes to the KMG that I only WISH I had known about, again it may have some well afternI bought mine, I guess I've had mine for around 8 years, roughly. So that alone should tell you that it is a robust machine that will last will NO upkeep, I can only thnk on one thing I had to do to mine and that was change out one of my wheels on my Platen, it started making a whining sound, I figured the bearing had gone out. So I just slapped another wheel on it same size as the one that I replaced. That is it! In fact I was thinking about contacting Rob at KMG and asking about maintenance, just because I've done none, in all this time!

Looks like you are doing the same thing for the work rest, getting feedback, researching for info, keep on until you think you have it figured out. I will also say, ifyou have any Machinist abilties, look into building it yourself, must of us try to build if it all possible, the basic work rest that is on the Wilmont is shouldn't be hard to build.
I hope this helps, Rex

Here's the one I made for my KMG. It adjust in most any direction needed.
DSC00753.JPG

Not sure what the DD rest means but, here is my homemade rest for my KMG clone!

IMG_2790_zpse388b887.jpg

IMG_2788_zpsa36ee830-1.jpg

IMG_2783_zpsccfbb555.jpg

IMG_2778_zps3dc54d3c.jpg

IMG_2777_zpsc8f59e9e.jpg

All of those adjustments can be made with these two tools.
IMG_2779_zps78cb39f4.jpg

Thanks Ken, someone else designed the prototype out of Aluminum and Beaumont was selling them for a while. They must not have gone over well as I don't see them on the Beaumont site anymore.

I looked at the pic and said I can build on like that and I set to work. I did some real head scratching because I had never saw one in person, so I had to figure out to make it and it be completely adjustable. I have found it to be very useful. Here is the link to a thread that I looked at to design mine. In the pics it doesn't show a lot of detail as too how it works but I saw enough to figure it out!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/466024-What-is-your-dream-KMG-attachment

Well I had to Google it and this is DD rest! I found one on Ebay. I guess it is designed to work with a Bader grinder!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contact-Wheel-Platen-D-D-Work-Rest-for-Bader-II-III-Knife-Belt-Grinder/251746769815?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3Dac3df0632d014b0883f8a12ea1b14e19%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140602152332%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D251690228194

Last edited:
The DD stands for Donald Dentz and his stuff is solid gold. He made a custom rest for me that can move in every position imaginable as well as a few more items to help with part articulation. Next I will be purchasing a rest that he makes for the small wheel holder. it too moves to any position needed. He is a great guy with great attention to detail.

I remember the thread you started on your tool rest - it's what bumped me off my butt to build an adjustable tool rest for my grinder.

BTW, when you wish to add a link to an ebay item, try this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251746769815

Same link you have above, expect I deleted everything except the item number which goes right after the "www.ebay.com/itm/"

Ken H>

You are just a show off Ken, :tongue: actually it's people like you who make me so mad
cursin.gif
that I am so computer illiterate! I knew their had to be a way to shorten that link but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, try as I might I couldn't figure it out. Actually I am just pulling your leg it doesn't make me mad, :what!::31: just more determined!:s12137:

I use my rest all the time, I don't have the tools such as lathe or access to a CNC machine but I do the best that I can do. Most of my stuff is out of steel for two reasons. It is usually cheaper than aluminum and I don't have the ability to weld aluminum! I have one I am working on now, if I ever get back to that project I think it will be kind of like growing another set of hands as far as being useful, if it works as well as I think it will!!

To rmbonham the Donald Dentz rest looks like a winner. I am not familar with him or the rest but, from what I see it appears to be a good one. Attention to detail is the difference between something working and something working well!:thumbup1:

Sorry fellas, I haven't been back for a couple days. Thanks for the replies. I remember when (believe it was Adam Michael) produced the work rest that Ken was referring to and they were being sold for around $400+. Very robust and well made. I was on his site (quite) awhile back and wasn't sure if he was still making them. I came across the DD work rest and was interested if anyone had tried it. It looks like it would do everything I would want. I was curious how the locking mechanism held up. Its not near as robust looking as the other but bigger is not always better. On a side note....I want to say that I have never been let down on this forum...thanks again for the replies.

Back