damascus problem

keithf

G'day all I have just finished ( refinished x 2 :mad: ) a W pattern blade of 1075 & 15N20. It has come out of the etch ( ferric ) with all these pits all over the 1075, mainly along the boundary of the 15N20. As I stated this is the 2nd time I have done this. I thought at first the etch solution was the cause so I made a new batch as it was fairly old. Reground and hand rubbed to 1000 grit and back in the etch for about 10min. Those pesky little pits appeared again.
Any ideas as I am :confused:
Cheers Keith

Hi Chuck, I mix it 4- 1 ferric and distilled water. I don't think it is the etch that is causing the problem with this blade as the pits are along the boundary of the 1075 & 15n20, but then hey!
Cheers Keith

Yeah thats what I thought, I was hoping for some other explanation. Oh well back to the forge we go, it's just that its getting bloody hot without lighting the forge!
Cheers Keith

Hey Bill what causes the bubbles? I have not had this happen before
Cheers Keith

Not sure what causes it ? I have had the same thing happen with monosteel ? maybe overheating ? just a guess.

Hey Bill what causes the bubbles? I have not had this happen before
Cheers Keith

Keith, If and when you find out maybee you can let me know. I have it happen occasionally and have no clue why. I can pretty much gaurantee that They hat not been over heated but WTH anything is possible.

tiny bubbles

Hello Keith , I talked to a good friend of mine walter Sorrels a well know smith who is very knowlegable . and he says it is either a defect in steel or something to do with overheating during HT . He says he cant be sure unless he can see pictures . Why dont you send me some pics of what you are taliking about and I will forward them to him .And let you know whats up . It happened to me a couple of times and I want to find out . email is berryman@socket.net
talk to you later. Bubba-san ..... James Bieler

Back