Damascus folders METEORITE!

Forgive me, but at the risk of sounding like a dumby, which wouldn't be the first or last time, is it ACTUAL Meteorite? Or is that just what the pattern weld is called. :biggrin:

Bert, Randy actually used meteorite in making of of the Damascus billet. I don't remember the thread, but seems like it's on here somewhere. Waaay cool!

If I remember correctly, it's not "pure" meteorite, but a blend of meteorite and other steels..... BUT - I'm not sure about that, I couldn't find the thread. Randy, help us out.

Ken H>

Bert, Randy actually used meteorite in making of of the Damascus billet. I don't remember the thread, but seems like it's on here somewhere. Waaay cool!

If I remember correctly, it's not "pure" meteorite, but a blend of meteorite and other steels..... BUT - I'm not sure about that, I couldn't find the thread. Randy, help us out.

Ken H>

Forgive me, but at the risk of sounding like a dumby, which wouldn't be the first or last time, is it ACTUAL Meteorite? Or is that just what the pattern weld is called. :biggrin:

Yep it is actual meteorite! :) Ill try and dig up the thread WIP where we did the first billet of this stuff. VERY COOL.

Thanks for finding the WIP - that is a GREAT WIP... Any idea why so many photos are no longer there starting on page #4?

edit: Well, I sat here and read thru that whole WIP just now. That is GREAT!!!!!! I also took the liberty of looking on ebay for some of that Campo meteorite - WOW!!!! that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! Like $1,000 for 10 lb chunk!!

I'm drooling over that mammoth ivory - that is one of my goals for 2014, to own/use some ivory, mammoth and PreBan Ivory also.

Ken H>

Last edited:
Ken, Sorry about the pictures missing. had some problems with Photo Bucket and lost some images. :(

When your ready to get some ivory. Look me up. I normally have a piece or 2 around here that I can part with.

Just a note about the WIP. This was our first time forging this awesome material and alot was learned. We have forged many billets after this one. and just finishing up a bar!! :) My how much we have learned and figured out from then to now. ;) Non the less, Its amazing stuff!!!

Randy - Just sent you email on the ivory.

On the blade you did using pure meteorite - it sure looked neat, but I didn't find any pics of the completed knife. Did I miss them? And just as important, how did it heat treat? While it was an "Art" knife, any idea how well it would cut 'n hold an edge?

Again WOW!!

Ken H>

Back