Cutting Ti what are your thoughts?

Freds Edge

I cut my Titanium on an old Carolina band saw , it cuts in both the vertical and horizontal planes and I cut in the slow speed ( 3 speed pulley setup).I was wondering what other makers were doing , I'm sure I could improve my methods first by buying a new saw I know this one is at least 50 + years old . I also was wondering about tooth configuration.

I use a vert. - horizontal metal saw too, slow speed. my blades are 18 TPI, once they are worn out from cutting CPM-154.
I kind of dread cutting the stuff, and it seems like the chips fly everywhere instead of just going down, goggle business for sure.

I started a testing thing back a few months. I was very disappointed with the results I was getting even since most cutting was through titanium.
I now believe the ideal combination on my 5' 4 1/2" blade machine is a 18 tooth soft back blade that is 1/2" wide.
Frank

I cut my Titanium on an old Carolina band saw , it cuts in both the vertical and horizontal planes and I cut in the slow speed ( 3 speed pulley setup).I was wondering what other makers were doing , I'm sure I could improve my methods first by buying a new saw I know this one is at least 50 + years old . I also was wondering about tooth configuration.

Sharp blades are a must. If I cut Ti, I cut it on a fresh blade, then retire the blade for other metals after it slows down. Milling cutters, same thing. Sharp, sharp, sharp...
I usually cut on slow speed. It takes longer, but seems to make the blades last longer.

For big chunks, I usually just throw the piece in the band saw, let the head down, and walk away. Keep in mind, for the time being slabbing Ti from a 2.5x3x18 inch chunk, so it's slow going...

Dan

Try Morse bandsaw blades. Model 811. I got a free sample a while back and love them for TI and everything else for that matter. They last forever.

A couple things to consider.

Ti is tough to cut. Use a new blade and dedicate that blade to Ti. I understand it is a pain to switch out but I do it because it saves blades.
Breaking in a band saw blade really does help. I thought it was baloney until I did it. Breaking in is using it on metal at 1/2 pressure and 1/2 speed as you normally would for 5 to 10 minutes. This slightly rounds over the teeth and prevents bigger (micro) tear out later in the teeth.

Use a slow speed. 200 to 300 sfpm. Don't force it, let the blade do the work. If you push hard, it's going to heat up and tear out teeth.

The other method is friction cutting. Again use a dedicated blade. Run your saw at wood cutting speed. The teeth will get worn down fast but thinner Ti in the .03" to .06" range will cut like a hot knife through butter.

Thanks for all the input , I will try the friction cutting and see how it works since my teeth are now worn . My last liners I cut with a cut off grinder and that seemed to work quite well but one needs to use a respirator as the dust is bad .

I've watched a friend friction cut some .025 titanium for a liner lock. Not for the faint of heart!

Back