Cutting Board

SC_Knives

Here is a picture of one of the cutting boards I made right before Christmas. I'm hoping to make some end grain cutting boards and a few high grade kitchen knives to go with them.

Cutting Board.jpg

SC,

It looks great! Is that black walnut and birdseye maple (two of my favorite woods!).

Ric

Thanks Ric - and it sure is!!

The Birdseye has really good figure, but it doesn't show very well in the pictures. I'm making a few of them out of hard maple and purple heart and a couple of end grain ones.

I have a couple of questions for you:

How does the birdseye maple wear compared to plain straight grain?

What type of glue do you use?

Looks like I may need to break down and make my self a cutting board. Right now, I have a commercially made bamboo one that seems to be holding up pretty well. I've noticed over the years that I prefer wooden cutting boards to plastic ones.

Ric

The maple wears about at the same rate as the walnut does. Cut marks show up on it and they will since its not an end grain board. I used Titebond waterproof glue and made sure the edges were all square. There is about 5 - 6 coats of salad bowl finish on each board, it takes awhile to apply it with the drying time. I like to use that finish as it holds up better to use and then I top coat it with wax as needed.

I can send you a couple of links for the wood and some plans if you would like.

Thank you for the information on the wear. One of the reasons I like the woodboards it that i can scrape or sand out the cut marks if they get too ugly, can't do that with plastic ones.

I actually have some maple, left over from a locker room bench installation at work I was thinking of using.

A friend of mine showed me a chopping block off a naval warship (WW II). Solid hard maple. It was about 36" x 36", dove tailed end grain about 18" thick.

Ric

One of the reasons I like the woodboards it that i can scrape or sand out the cut marks if they get too ugly, can't do that with plastic ones.

Couldn't say it better! Plastic holds bacteria too once they get cut up a little.

Do you have any pictures of the naval chopping block?

Don't have any pics of the block. This was about 30 years ago and Lon has since passed away.

He did give me a pice of teak decking off the ship with two words of wisdom:

1. Teak has alot of silicates in it. It will dull your tools faster.

2. If you see sparks when cutting it on your table saw, it may be some sand or rocks that the tree incoprorated from the soil while growing or it could be shrapnel.

Ric

Back