Custom sheath for Vietnam Vet's knife

EdVal

Marine Corps Vet asked for a new sheath for his favorite hunting knife. Custom inlay python skin in veg tanned 7/8 oz hand stitched. IMG_8219.jpg

EdVal,

That's an awesome sheath. Judging by the "vintage knife" I bet there is an interesting story connected to the sheath. Did you make this for a friend?

Jay

Thanks, Sticks.
The story is this. I was comissioned by my brother-in-law to make a knife and sheath for a Marine Corp Vet who was a customer of his. The Vet evidently was highly decorated for his service in Viet Nam. He gave one of those medals to my brother-in-law's daughter, who was batteling a serious illness. He insisted that I be present when he gave him the knife. So we met him at his hunting camp in Michigan, and presented it to him around the campfire. He cried!

I got introduced around the rest of the camp and eventually met another Vet buddy of his who is the one who requested the sheath you see in the picture. I did the commissioned knife and the buddy's sheath pro bono, as a way of saying "Thanks" to those brave men who risked their lives, and often ruined their own, to keep this great country free. I have to say, i have never felt such great satisfaction and seen such gratitude. It makes it all worthwhile!

Back