curly maple

tmr

I just finished a couple of small hunting hatchets with curly maple handles......I used 5 or 6 coats of dark walnut danish oil on the curly maple.....I wasn,t happy with the finish as it was not as glossy as i have had before......I thought what the heck and went to the buffer with white compound and lightly buffed the finish......it was great......the polish was as good as on the exotic woods and really popped the grain on the curly maple......this is the first time i tried this but it won,t be the last

The muzzleloader guys use “aqua fortis” to stain their curly maple stocks and it is gorgeous. I used it many years ago on a tomahawk. Gives it a real nice brown color, and shows the grain really well. Might be worth testing it out.

Best "cheater" finish for maple is Fiebings spirit based leather dye and an good oil finish on top IMO. I have found that British Tan dye works the best. Any die with yellow or red will eventually get you brown if you apply enough. The tan gives you more flexibility. I used to have a London style finish from South Africa, but they dont import it any more, nor does the other compnay that imported a similar kit. I will probably go with Tru Oil now unless I ca find another London style kit. Maple doesn't seem to take quite as many coats as walnut, but you do need to dye it.

I recently ordered a muzzleloader rifle kit and paid for “extra fancy” curly maple. I haven’t received it yet but have been researching finishes. My plan is nitric acid “aqua fortis” heated with a heat gun to bring out the grain and finished with “Chambers stock oil”. I’m looking forward to starting this project!

thanks for the input guys.......i have used all of the above.......was experimenting with the danish oil......i have just recieved some potassium permanganate crystals from amazon to try.......has anyone used it?........i posted the thread because it was the first time that i ever buffed curly maple with an oil finish......it was amazing how it turned out

thanks for the input guys.......i have used all of the above.......was experimenting with the danish oil......i have just recieved some potassium permanganate crystals from amazon to try.......has anyone used it?........i posted the thread because it was the first time that i ever buffed curly maple with an oil finish......it was amazing how it turned out
I’ve use PP to dye antler, it works well for that. Goes on bright pink, dries brown. You’ll have to let us know what it does to wood, I’m kinda curious

Was taught basic knife making from a world class muzzleloader maker. He used J E Moser's aniline alcohol soluble Dye stain red maple. Works for me. Used for years for bow building and knife building. IF that doesn't high light the curl there's no curl.

I sanded and polished a scrap piece of curly maple today......holy cow did it ever buff up great........nice deep polish........would not take the stain very well after....just an experiment anyway....i may try a small kitchen knife with just polishing on the curly maple.....a different look

I’ve use PP to dye antler, it works well for that. Goes on bright pink, dries brown. You’ll have to let us know what it does to wood, I’m kinda curious
MOST of the time it dries pink and goes brown. I had the stag handle on an Al Pendray wootz integral go purple.

Back