CTS-XHP and CPM S35 VN..Any Good?

J S Machine

So I was commisioned about a year ago to build a new flipper designed for a friend. He apparently knows more about blade steels than I do.

Saturday, at Blade, I gathered the materials for the knife, which I have just not gotten around to buying yet. In my search for blade steel, I had several people tell me that they no longer carried this stuff or had any desire to ever again. I was kind of shocked, because the customer made it sound like this stuff was some really good blade steel. I wondered why it was so hard to find..

I'm no pro on blade steels, and I'll be the first to tell you that it isn't really the biggest concern for me. I am fine using D2, ATS 34, 440C, or other common steels. I never have really bought into the -what I call- exotic steels. For one, they are a pain to heat treat properly, and two, many have to be cryo treated. I have no problem with this, but I am not set up to do it and I would rather do everything in house. The little bit of extra performance that is supposedly there just never has really appealed to me over the more common steels. Do most of the buyers really use a knife that much to justify its exotic steel over a common steel?

Question is..Are either of those steels any good?

And, How do I apparoach the situation when my buyer wants a certain steel, but I am not comfortble using it based on others opinions? Is the customer always right, or do I attempt to sway them towards something that may be better?

I've dabbled with s30v and elmax, both with great results. I've had some ask about the XHP and 35 as well, but I'm just honest with people. I'll tell them I dont know much about the metals, but I can shape anything, and the manufacturers will tell me how to heat treat it. From what I've seen, some buyers just want to find the absolute "best" they can get, so they read about the newest supersteel and decide that is what they need. Most fail to take into account the things we, as makers, must; such as intended purpose of the knife, conditions of use, and conditions of carry. I have tried to read all I can about the more popular ones, but it makes my eyeballs bleed reading stuff that dry. Maybe boss will chime on this one, but I'm guessing the retailers just are not seeing enough demand for the supers to justify keeping them in stock. I would imagine you could call carpenter, and get a list of people carrying the XHP. Personally I've been wanting to test some of it if I happened upon a billet.

So just be honest, give your advice, and if they still want the s35, XHP, uranium, plutonium or anything else; track it down and let them pay the difference for it.

Both are great steels and available. Cpms35vn is probably easier to find than the xhp due to a more developed distribution network more than anything.

I Use CPM-S35vn for my larger Chef knives. 7 3/4" & 9 3/4" and it is a EXCELLENT steel for this application for a Pro Chef, Superior edge retention over 440C which I use for my Rhino Veggie Chop knife.

if i remember correctly it comes out as a appox 65% plus price increase and I do add that plus some more because the CPM-S35VN does eat up the Ceramic & other belts.

For household Chefs it's not necessary, but for a Pro Chef that cuts up to 8-12 plus hours a day it is a worthy investment. BossDog stocks it.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

My buyer wants this stuff for a flipper design I'm going to make.

rhinoknives--I was of the understanding that cpm s35vn was the answer to cpm s30v. Something about s35vn was easier to grind, polish, work etc..but it came at a cost because it never did really hold up as well as the original s30v..

What's your take on this Tracy?

Cpms35vn was developed specifically to address edge chipping of s30v of thin edge blades. This improvement in toughness slightly reduced edge holding. For all purposes, it is a close but different steel. Both will continue to be produced to meet specific needs in private and government related contracts. Both are good steels and both have a place in the knife business.

The edge holding reduction is minimal and it is about 20-30% easier to grind than the S30V.

Still tough to grind, and it has the same HT formula as S30V and my final edges are in the area of 11 degrees with a reduction in Chipping in Japanese style Culinary blades

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back