Cryo baby cryo!

DLBrothers

Got me a dewar! Now I got questions???

Is there any benefit to cryo after 1 temper cycle?

I have seen it said that you should cryo immediately after quench. Should there be a snap-temper first?

How long is generally acceptable to cryo?

Do the rules change with type of SS?

Thanks dogs!

Some recommend 350 degrees x 1hr snap temper then cryo . Others say go direct to cryo after heat treat. All seem to agree to always temper after cryo. I cryo immediately after heat treat without the snap temper & have not had any problem using ATS-34 , then temper X 2 X 2 hr. I do not claim to be an expert , however .

Joe

Paul Bos talked a lot about a snap temper (around 350F to 400F steel depending) before cryo. He really didn't want to crack any blades from the shock of the cryo. The snap temper would reduce that a bit. I take my from quench (after it gets to room temp) and cyro, then temper twice. I shudder every time I lower it into the juice as it really boils and you can feel the vibration run up the wire.

I'm with Joe. After quench I cryo with nitrogen with in a hour after after quench.

PS: I leave the blades in the nitrogen over night and after they get to room temp then do a double temper at 400°.

Last edited:
I snap temper at 350 for 30 min. Air cool then go in freezer for one hour and then cryo tank for 8 hours. Then temper twice. That's my order for CPM 154, S30V and D2. Temp and times differ of course.
-John

I go from the oven to the plates. Once at room temp, I go straight to the liquid nitrogen over night, tempering after cryo as normal. Consider the cryo as part of your quench. Any significant amount of time before cryo will allow a good bit of the retained austenite to stabilize and not convert. A quick snap temper shouldn't hurt, but I've never had a blade crack from the LN without a snap temper.

--nathan

Nathan,
I've never had one crack either, but I have had them warp in the LN. Since I've been doing the snap temper there has been no warpage in the LN tank. I have had some warped tapered tangs come out of the quench plates (different topic).
-John

Got me a dewar! Now I got questions???

Is there any benefit to cryo after 1 temper cycle?

I have seen it said that you should cryo immediately after quench. Should there be a snap-temper first?

How long is generally acceptable to cryo?

Do the rules change with type of SS?

Thanks dogs!

Congrats on the Dewer!cool 12thumbs
Those things must be filled with gold!

:)I go straight cryo and leave at least 8 hours before tempering. This is with 440C, ATS-34, 154CM and CPM154CM. I've never had any problem with a blade cracking either. I always take the edge off all the holes with a large drill bit or countersink first.

2guns

Back