craftsman 2x42 problems like all the others lol

Charger

Well i just got a craftsman 2x42 belt sander and seem to have come across a problem that i have not read about and was wondering if anyone on this forum may have had this problem. It seems that top wheel is about 3/8" or so to the left compared to the bottom wheel. The whole belt assembly seems to be at an angle and not square with the motor. It is to the point that i cant even put on the side cover with a belt on it if it is tracking on the bottom wheel (not that i really want to). Now i guess the options are to fix this or return it.

I would return it. Mine is the same way but not as bad as yours sounds. My whole machine is really a little off. It's not the best but once you start to figure out how to work around its problems or fix them (if possible), it gets the job done.

Good luck Charger.

Howdy. Yep, mine is a little off as well, but not that bad. I would return it and get another one.

Yeah, try again. You don't need the side cover anyway. First thing I did was take it off. Never put it on again in 3 years and 150 knives.

So far i have been messing with it trying to find out why its so far off and i have been able to shim it to get it over to about .2" to the left of the bottom wheel but i still haven't seen something that makes me go this part is what they messed up. I kind of have the mentality that if i return it i will more then likely get another one like this anyways or with some other problem.

Well i bent it mostly back into shape and now its only about 1/8" off and i can live with that. Now i just have to start making some knifes with it and some much needed modifications. Maybe I should have just built a grinder from the start lol.

Well i bent it mostly back into shape and now its only about 1/8" off and i can live with that. Now i just have to start making some knifes with it and some much needed modifications. Maybe I should have just built a grinder from the start lol.

The first real grinder I ever owed and still do is a Coote. http://cootebeltgrinder.com/

Get one of these in 2 X 72" and a motor and I will walk you through setting it up!

The best investment you can get to be a serious knife maker.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I think i will just make a kmg clone sometime in the future. I can turn the the wheels, other then the contact wheel, and weld up a frame i was just trying to go with less work to start with. I think i need to make a gas forge next as the 4 hours to heat up my burn out kiln just seems forever to harden a small knife blade.

Back