Coyote

One

Banned
Here's a little one I'm working on with a coyote femur and sterling handle. The blade is 1095, pre-heat treat at this point.

DSCN7028_zps138e7f10.jpg

"Coyote song", Pete Seeger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtXj9yAyMJQ

Last edited:
Thanks Calvin.

Out here in the Sonoran desert were I live, there used to be a lot more of them, but with all the new roads, construction etc., we just don't see near as many. I used to see 3-6 in my yard every morning and evening. Now the pack rats are taking over with their partners the "jumping cactus" (NOT GOOD)... I miss my "little brothers".

I hope my small knife will do them honor.

... I still hear them sing their song some nights. OOOOOOOWWWWHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIII YAP YAP YAP !!!!!!

Last edited:
Beautiful work, Tai. We have plenty of 'em still running around in Texas. You can hear 'em yipping and howling of an evening.

Thanks Calvin.

Out here in the Sonoran desert were I live, there used to be a lot more of them, but with all the new roads, construction etc., we just don't see near as many. I used to see 3-6 in my yard every morning and evening. Now the pack rats are taking over with their partners the "jumping cactus" (NOT GOOD)... I miss my "little brothers".

I hope my small knife will do them honor.

... I still hear them sing their song some nights. OOOOOOOWWWWHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIII YAP YAP YAP !!!!!!

They must have all moved to Florida,the roads and construction don't seem to bother them here. They are not native to Florida so naturally we hate them. I kill every one I can to keep them from killing my deer and turkeys. I'll send you some bones.

Yeah, save the leg bones...

If you can save some turkey feathers and deer hair too, I use them for fly tying. Just put it all in a big box and send it to me.

About the only things I ever kill around my house are poisonous insects and rattlesnakes. The pack rats mostly get captured and relocated, although I'd probably be doing the desert a favor by killing them too. They belong here, just too many right here right now. They're just too cute to kill... smart too.

... killing gives me nightmares, except for fish but especially rattlesnakes.

You kill it, you eat it! Ever try eating a scorpion? LOL

Out here the coyotes are like caretakers of the desert. They keep it nice and clean and healthy.

... Best way to get rid of invasive species is by eating them. We have starlings and various blackbirds that don't belong. Maybe I should try baking them in a pie.

Last edited:
That reminds more than a little of the knives made by the bronze-age Urnfield culture, has the same curves in the same places... I'm liking it.

Back