Considering the talent here, mine are very primitive,but this is what I do;

Church & Son

A couple just to say Hello, I've been lurking here a long time wanting to be more active in KD but my rusty/crusty style is light years behind the cutting edge talent here.

The Hudson Bay chopper meats Plains Indian via Hillbilly blacksmith has bolster and cap from pewter cup, pants are from yard sale coat and old boot. Handle is I think Gum, found it flyfishing on the river and it was full of worms. That's a 2" harness ring for size. Bowie guard is railroad nut that I kept heatin' and beatin', cap was 15 Pesos heated and smacked with 5 pounder. Rawhide over veg-tanned sheath in the Frontier style of Mr. Burrows and Mr. Cohea. Handle, Oak from charcoal pile.
Both are from same piece of horse drawn plow steel, forged, draw filled, quenched in salt water and tempered in a charcoal fire. Only electricity used is for forge blower,'till I can trade for hand blower. I do a lot of period knives, tomahawks and leather from this era.......Thanks for lookin'.........Randy "Preacher" Church

Last edited:
Preacher,they may be "primitive" style, but they look good to me. Heck, there is a huge market for this style at Rendevous all over the country.

Thanks Guys, I've been making period knives for a lot of years, traded more than ever sold , am a 4th generation blacksmith who is determined not to let the old ways go by the wayside. I do a ton of research in the mid 19th century and attend Rendezvous/Pow Wows/old timers day's when I can. I joined here 'cause it is an ACTIVE forum...........

Man they look great!

There are many styles of knife and many styles of knife making. Some are more ornamental then others but at its core I think the test of a blade is how well it works. I personally think that when it comes down to it being a good knife maker is taking pride in the tool you have crafted, do you like them?

I actually love what you have created, the style, is great, I love seeing the hammer marks in the blade, I love your knives and they appeal to me in every way possible.

I make knives because I like making knives, if others like them that's just icing on the cake. Sounds like you're doing what is important to you. Go for it!

Back