Combination Press/Hammer

Bühlmann

I posted this on another forum, but it really didn't get any traction. @Kev 's recent thread re-sparked my interest and @Gliden07 's build thread prompted me to bring the conversation here, where guys seem way more interested in the technical aspects of tacking a project like this and the advantages/limitations of the tool.

I'm considering a press. I'm considering whether or not I want to mess around with fabricating my own. But that's not the topic of this thread. In my excursion down the rabbit hole that is forging presses, I came across this and was impressed at the ingenuity and efficiency of design:

Has anyone else seen this before? Built one? I'd like some good opinions on if this might be a wonderful (or not so wonderful) small shop/hobbiest solution. Why or why not?

I saw this and would have considered building it but my press was done when I saw the video!! Really smart idea!

I would love to see how the stresses play out in this. It looks like a lot of movement. I also am not sure how much I "need" a hammer. Oh, I know I'll use it if I have it, but maybe that's a project for another day. A press I can see the immediate use for.

This courtship with making a decision is really part of the fun anyways, right?

Back