Collectors - Honorary Membership in the Knifemakers Guild

Mike Carter

The Knifemakers Guild Show isn’t until September but these things have a way of sneaking up on you so I wanted to get ahead of it for once. The Knifemakers Guild Show will again be held at the beautiful and historic Seelbach Hilton Hotel in downtown Louisville, Kentucky. The show will feature approximately 150 tables of handmade custom knives, all by Guild members. The show is open to the public and free passes are available.

What many collectors don’t know about is the Honorary Membership in the Knifemakers Guild. The Guild created this membership in appreciation of the collectors who buy our knives and support the Guild.

According to the Guild’s by-laws, to become an honorary member you must be recommended by a voting or probationary member of the Guild who will provide you with an application and sign it as your sponsor. Specifically, the by-laws state:

Honorary Members
* a. Qualifications: Only individuals who fulfill the following criteria shall be eligible to become Honorary Members:

i. Not engaged in making Handmade Knives, but advances the purposes of the Guild as determined by the Board in its sole and absolute discretion; and

ii. Sponsored by a Voting Member or Probationary Member in good standing.

* Upon satisfaction of the foregoing requirements, the Board may, in its sole and absolute discretion, grant Honorary Membership status to the applicant.

* b. Voting: Honorary Members shall have no voting rights.

There is a $25 annual membership fee for Honorary Membership but here is what you get:

The Guild hosts an annual “President’s Gala for Honorary Members” at the hotel on Thursday night preceding the show. As an Honorary Member, you get two free passes to the Gala for you and a guest. You also get two free drink tickets and free food. It’s a wonderful evening where you can hang out with, and get to know, some of the best knifemakers from around the world in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. The food and drinks alone are worth the more than the $25 membership fee.

At the Gala, there will also be a special preview sale of knives. Guild members who are showing at the show can select one knife, usually their best work, and display it on a table with the price. Those interested in buying the knife can put their name in a box beside the knife. At a designated time, the makers will draw a name from the box and the person drawn can purchase the knife at the asking price. This gives honorary members first shot at a selection of knives before the show begins. There are usually at least a couple dozen knives offered at the Gala.

Honorary Members are also admitted to the show one hour before the public on Friday. Again, this gives you first opportunity to see and buy knives before the show opens to the public.

You also get the Guild newsletter to keep you up to date on what’s happening with the Guild.

If any of you are interested in becoming an honorary member of the Knifemakers Guild, contact me or any Guild member for an application. I hope to see you at the Gala.

Mike,
Thanks for posting this. You are a great ambassador for The Knifemakers Guild. I'll be there at the gala for the first time this year.

Back