Cleaver Project

Everyone does a mirror finish...once. LOL!!!

You're right.... this is for the birds. Lol! The grease from my fingers and hands keep marking the blade so it's almost impossible to tell what's a scratch and what's a smear.

When y'all say knives sell, you're not kidding. My dad wants the Malibu Skinner and my bro in law wants a small Drop Point. Both are demanding to pay. So... I'm gonna get me a good file guide with the money. I love the one Bump makes, but his site says sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a poor man's file guide is a set of 1-2-3 blocks with a couple of through-bolts. Not as sleek and sexy, but it works a gazillion times better than you'd think for $15. You can pick up a pair on Amazon.

You're right.... this is for the birds. Lol! The grease from my fingers and hands keep marking the blade so it's almost impossible to tell what's a scratch and what's a smear.

When y'all say knives sell, you're not kidding. My dad wants the Malibu Skinner and my bro in law wants a small Drop Point. Both are demanding to pay. So... I'm gonna get me a good file guide with the money. I love the one Bump makes, but his site says sold out.

I've bought a file guide last year from this guy. I've been pleased with it so far. The only minor issue I've had is one of the pins wants to slide too freely and will sometimes slip out when I'm adjusting it.

http://www.billbehnkeknives.com/available_items.html

I've bought a file guide last year from this guy. I've been pleased with it so far. The only minor issue I've had is one of the pins wants to slide too freely and will sometimes slip out when I'm adjusting it.

http://www.billbehnkeknives.com/available_items.html

a poor man's file guide is a set of 1-2-3 blocks with a couple of through-bolts. Not as sleek and sexy, but it works a gazillion times better than you'd think for $15. You can pick up a pair on Amazon.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna check out both of these solutions. $15 sounds like it's right up my alley. Here's a pic of the finished product.
7de099403849bc1970c3f3e88a9fdd3f.png

I went with satin, and this is not my real makers mark.

Last edited:
Looks good. And satin... Always a good choice! Lol
How are you putting your makers mark on the blade? Are you etching it on?

Looks good. And satin... Always a good choice! Lol
How are you putting your makers mark on the blade? Are you etching it on?

Thank you very much! A friend of mine owns a graphic design shop. He puts a chemical down and laser engraves over it turning the chemical and metal black... or something like that lol. I'm designing (pretty much finished with) a maker's mark. He charges like $12 to put it on and claims that it'll last forever. I figure it's a decent deal until I get a personalizer.

Thank you very much! A friend of mine owns a graphic design shop. He puts a chemical down and laser engraves over it turning the chemical and metal black... or something like that lol. I'm designing (pretty much finished with) a maker's mark. He charges like $12 to put it on and claims that it'll last forever. I figure it's a decent deal until I get a personalizer.

Yeah that sounds like a pretty good deal. I etch mine on my blades, but etching it doesn't look as good as yours does and it's an aggravating process to do it. I need to find someone nearby me that can do the laser marking.

Yeah that sounds like a pretty good deal. I etch mine on my blades, but etching it doesn't look as good as yours does and it's an aggravating process to do it. I need to find someone nearby me that can do the laser marking.

I was impressed. I'm very satisfied with their service, price, and location (abt 2 mins from my house). I guess maybe it's a cop out that I got someone else to do it, but I figure I got to pick my battles lol.

I was impressed. I'm very satisfied with their service, price, and location (abt 2 mins from my house). I guess maybe it's a cop out that I got someone else to do it, but I figure I got to pick my battles lol.

You put the work in on the knife - just to have someone do your makers mark isn't a cop out in my opinion! I think I'd willingly pay someone to do mine instead of having to etch it myself! Lol

Holy moly... your knife was on the cover of blade magazine lol... you guys crack me up. It's unbelievable that new guys like myself have a place like knife dogs to chat and get pointers from pros like you. I'm very grateful to have such a great resource, and it's due to guys like you. Thanks for looking at my posts. Thank you all.

Edit: very nice website also.

Last edited:
Holy moly... your knife was on the cover of blade magazine lol... you guys crack me up. It's unbelievable that new guys like myself have a place like knife dogs to chat and get pointers from pros like you. I'm very grateful to have such a great resource, and it's due to guys like you. Thanks for looking at my posts. Thank you all.

Edit: very nice website also.

Lol thanks man. I hardly consider myself a pro! I still feel like I'm learning myself and I've had a lot of makers help me tremendously so I'm just happy to be able to pass some knowledge on and help others as much as I can! I've made some very good friends in the knife making community who I talk to on a daily or weekly basis and we've never met face to face!
I think the knife making community should be just that - a community where information is freely sought and freely given. I wouldn't be where I'm at if not for others helping me, so I'm glad to pay it forward and help anyway I can.
About the website - thank you! I built it myself and I'm pleased with it!

Back