Choils and sharpening.

A friend of mine just showed one of the worlds top makers the TORMEK T7 . He is looking into getting one after seeing how well it worked. This maker just sold a knife for 40 grand so if it is up to his expectations im getting one.

I had to google it....

f285_370.jpg

Heck, I sell them. My distributor carries that exact brand. That's not the issue.

Many years ago I read an article about a bike called "The Gentleman's Express." It was a custom Honda 550, made for a laid-back guy, secure in his own ideals. The article opined that such a man had enough credit or cash to buy the most expensive bike on the floor, but chose a differing path. It made no sense to me, but I was younger.

Now I'm that older guy. I just got back from a brief ride, average speed, 30 MPH. I probably could afford a turbo Mustang.

I do not wish to grind, I wish to feel. And I have lots of time.

I know exactly what your saying, I dont have time to spend an hour or even 2 on a knife some times I get as many as 40 knives a week to sharpen and the people want them back in 2 days. One guy alone brought me over 40 custom made knives some never used and he wanted them all sharpened.Took me about 8 hours averaging about 10 min a knife. I sharpened all my knives by hand on a ark granite oil stone so I know what you mean about the feel . That was up until a year ago.

Hellgap, in another thread I mentioned the fine art of developing 'me time' and becoming unreliable.

Now, I understand making money, but there is no such thing as an "emergency sharpening." Granted, there's always some chef lost in his own puffery who thinks you never sleep.

Do you remember 'Scotty' on the original Star Trek? If an engine blew up requiring one hour of work, he told Kirk it would take two hours.

Besides, all people who are excellent at their craft become somewhat distant. Do your best work, display your craftsmanship, become irreplaceable.

Then jack up your prices. Take Mondays off.

Back