Carbon fiber

Walt2

I have never worked with carbon fiber before and today I buffed the end of a pair of scales that will go toward the ricasso area. I saw pretty quickly that I will have a black buffing wheel by the time I get these things finished. What I am wondering is does anyone know of a feasable way to get the black out of the buffing wheel so it will not contaminate something else or would I be better off just changing to a new wheel?

The rake showen will help.
I have different wheels & Compounds for my buffer for different chores/Materials.
One is Steel only,One Brass, One wood for instance. They still need to cleaned with a Rake or I use a old but clean Stainless steel Serrated Bread knife that I hold into the wheel ay about a 30-40% angle.

Remember that the buffer is the MOST DANGEROUS Tool in the shop! I have a full thickness cow hide Apron I had made to protect the family Jewels and Legs etc!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

What I am wondering is does anyone know of a feasable way to get the black out of the buffing wheel so it will not contaminate something else or would I be better off just changing to a new wheel?

Not that I am aware of. It seems everything turns black in the shop when using carbon fiber.

One word on Carbon Fiber.......NASTY! Working it in the shop is like opening a can of black baby powder and tossing it into the air.....except that real baby powder is a lot more "user friendly". Not only is Carbon Fiber expensive, but working it is VERY hazardous all the way around.

Put the scales on and then had to go out of town for a few days and started working on it today (Sun.). Ed, you hit the nail on the head when you said "NASTY". This is my first time to use it and if I have any say, it will be the last.

Back