Carbon fiber questions

genewiseman

I just got an order for a carbon fiber handled folder. I have never used carbon fiber. On G-10 I use a slack belt to 220 grit and then hand sand to 320-400 grit and lightly finish with steel wool. It takes longer than I would like but I don't have a variable speed grinder and this is the only way I have been able to get the results I want. Will this work on carbon fiber? If not, how can I do it without a variable speed grinder. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Gene

I am just finishing one that I used carbon fiber on. I went along with just the usual belts I use. If you have not been told it can be a tough item to work with . Make sure you use a mask with this stuff. I understand as well,some get bad skin reactions with the dust. Frank

Definitely protect yourself.

The first time I used it I had itchy hands and itchy feet for a week afterwards from the dust. I swore never to use it again but inevitably, some people insisted on CF and I couldn't bring myself to turn do the jobs so I went for it again. Didn't get the same problem again.

Gene , I use it a lot for bolsters on folders . It really grinds fast & is much softer than G-10 in my experince . I would go with a finer grit than what you use with the G-10 until you get the feel for it . Wear your respirator !

Joe

Back