Can you convert this into a contact wheel?

R

rockbox

http://www.harborfreight.com/english-wheel-top-anvil-die-95367.html

Could you put some rubber on this and make it a contact wheel? Its so cheap I may try it just for grins.

image_3232.jpg

Interesting idea, it would be heavy at 25 pounds. What is it made for originally? Looks like it could work, if you could get the rubber on it, to stay, and be balanced. Let us know how it works out, and be careful.

The problem I've been faced with in the past when adding rubber to a wheel, was keeping it on under the centrifical force when the wheel was turning. Keeping the speed down helped, but defeated my intent. Like Top Fuel tires, rubber expands with speed, but the wheel doesn't. The rubber coming off at speed proved to be, uh, "unpleasant" for me. One of the things to consider while experimenting.

dennie

I had a home made 1 inch wheel with rubber attached. It separated and then slips left and right, belt wont track. It doesn't come off because I have a steel U shape that holds both ends of the arbor. MY advise, unless you can vulcanize it... don't bother.

I suppose the question would be how much it costs to vulcanize something like that vs. just buying a new contact wheel from Grizzly.

Put a piece of athletic tape around it and down the middle and use it for an idler wheel... Just kidding ;)

Those are the bottom dies rockbox.

They are all the same diameter, but have a crown of the specified radius.

Back