Butt Kicker

Wade Hougham

Here are 2 cable knives I just finished. The Larger one forged from 1 1/4" cable is 13" long and the small one forged from 3/4" cable is 7 1/2" long.

The large one is aptly named "Butt Kicker" because it is hand forged and that 1 1/4" cable is a beast.

Attachments

• Butt Kicker 022.jpg
    Butt Kicker 022.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Butt Kicker 023.jpg
    Butt Kicker 023.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Butt Kicker 024.jpg
    Butt Kicker 024.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Butt Kicker 025.jpg
    Butt Kicker 025.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the comments.:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Bert, The best, for pattern, I have used is elevator cable . I also really like sling/choker cables I have been told they will have a tag on them telling you what they are. Improved plow steel, extra improved plow steel or extra extra improved plow steel, google for information, all three make good blades. Mystery cable is going to be a hit or miss on heat treat. Don't use galvanized unless you are ready to meet your maker, toxic fumes. If someone reads this that knows more than I do, on the subject of cables, please feel free to either correct me or add helpful information. I am by no means an expert on the subject and wouldn't want to put out incorrect info.
If you have a local bladesmith in your area I am sure they would be willing to help with the process.
Hope this helps.

Wade

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks Wade. Hadn't thought of elevator cables. First to come to mind was the over head crane cables at my metal supplier. I'm assuming that they must have to be changed out at predetermined intervals. Was looking for sources so I'd know where to start asking around.
And yeah, love to here more ideas and info........ I'm gonna go start a new thread so as not to hi-jack and I'm sure they'll be others that can use the info.
Thanks Wade!!

I always enjoy seeing the things you create Wade and with this post you do not disappoint. Very interesting look and nicely done!

Eric,
I enjoy everything I do and can't wait to start the next project, whatever that might be. Thank you for the comment.:001_smile:

Wade

Zealot,
You hang around Knife Dogs and you will see many things you have never seen before.:biggrin:
Thanks for commenting.

Wade

Back