burnt blade tip grinding

sixtyminustwo

Hi everyone,

I am a new knife maker, and while grinding the other day I burned the tip of the knife about 3/16". I saw a youtube video where a guy said its trashed, and I will have to grind it off. True/False? does anyone know what damage I may or may not have done. Thanks for your time in advance.

If it happened after heat treat, yes, the tip has lost its temper. 3/16" is quite a lot, but you could grind it back and reshape it. If that won't work, you could anneal and re-heat treat the whole thing again. I'm still new at this too, so you might wait on the pros to weigh in before you do anything.

"burnt" the tip off sounds like the steel discolored with the grinding? If so, as Anthony says, temper is gone. No big deal, just grind to reshape tip, then go back thru HT'ing process and good as new..... Ahhhh, this isn't a finished knife is it - with handles and all?

Ken H>

Thanks for the advice! It was pre heat treat. i did it in the initial grinding. i was planning on heat treating the 0-1 today. I ground it back a little.IMG_5814.jpg

Back