Burnishing 3-4 layer edges

KentuckyFisherman

I'm having trouble with a sheath that has four layers of leather. I trimmed the outside edges to match as closely as I'm able with an X-acto blade. Then I went to my belt sander and a used 120-grit belt to further smooth that edge. Visually and to the touch, I thought I had the edge sanded great, with all the layers hard to even spot. THEN I go to the Tokonole and burnishing tool. It didn't take long for me to realize that the layers were smooth only because they had filled in with "leather powder." The Tokonole caused the powder to compact down, leaving little gaps between some of the layers, mostly an eighth of an inch here and there. Eighty to 90% of the edge looks good, but the little gaps spoil the effect.

I've been doing leatherwork for 2-3 years and to get my work to the next level, I have to figure out this edge burnishing problem. I realize one option would be to call "Full stop" and go back to the sander. But that's going to mean an awful lot of sanding to eliminate just a few small gaps. Is there some kind of putty or something I can fill those cracks with? Maybe mix some of the leather sanding powder with wood glue and pack it into those cracks, overfilling and then sanding it down. Kind of like fixing a crack in drywall. Would that "patching paste" take dye or stand out as a repair? Or would that "patch" just fall out as the leather flexed or swelled or dried out.

Any ideas are welcome and I thank you in advance.

I sand with an 80 grit belt then use an edger for the corners. I dampen the leather then rub with saddle soap to smooth , next a hard plastic piece to rub to smooth.
Thanks, Mike. But after you burnish, what if you have little gaps here and there between the layers? Maybe you don't get those.

I've seen some suggestions elsewhere that say you can apply a little beeswax and warm it so the wax runs into these little cracks between your layers. Then you burnish and apparently can get a smoother, slicker surface. Anyone tried that?

I've seen some suggestions elsewhere that say you can apply a little beeswax and warm it so the wax runs into these little cracks between your layers. Then you burnish and apparently can get a smoother, slicker surface. Anyone tried that?
That sounds promising. There is also Fiebings Gun Tragacanth. Which slicks the leather edges to prepare for edge finishes. I just leave it as is. Though there are various colors of edge finishes to really make things sparkle

I try to be sure the glue is spread complete to edges, then clamp so the edges are clamped tight so no gaps are left. Even with that a gap is sometimes left. There is an edge kote (Amazon #B004303LMC) that's a thick dye that works pretty good to fill small gaps. It's available in black, and other colors. The color doesn't do a good job of matching the color of the leather, except for the black which seems to match pretty good. I also use that Tragacanth stuff for working the edge.

Trag won’t fill your remaining gaps. It’s strictly a slicking agent. You’ll want to buy a some wax and you can rub that area quickly which will heat the wax and fill the voids. After that, go back to about 220 grit then around 500 and slick it again. Should be good to go.

One thing also you can do is I glue one side of sheath and matching welt, when it is almost dry I align them together. I then use a small square faced hammer and hammer with over lapping blows. I then glue other side of sheath and welt then when ready apply them together. I hammer again back side of sheath to join them.
This works as I use Masters glue. Friend saddle maker showed me this.

Last edited:
I think the trick is to make sure that when you grind the edges you grind deep enough to defeat all those gaps the first time around. And then proceed with the rest of your burnishing process. But when they show up further down the line I do go back to the grinder with them. As a small leather worker, I will never beat the big guys on unit volume, but I can on quality. Even if it takes longer.

I think the trick is to make sure that when you grind the edges you grind deep enough to defeat all those gaps the first time around. And then proceed with the rest of your burnishing process. But when they show up further down the line I do go back to the grinder with them. As a small leather worker, I will never beat the big guys on unit volume, but I can on quality. Even if it takes longer.
I think you're exactly right, the best way to deal with what I ran into was to go back and grind some more. I think I get fooled because the "leather dust" fills the cracks/gaps and makes all look smooth. I think in the future I'll take a stiff bristle brush and scrub the edge after I sand it. Any loose fluff that's filling cracks should get dislodged and allow the gap to show. Thanks, Delta.

I think you're exactly right, the best way to deal with what I ran into was to go back and grind some more. I think I get fooled because the "leather dust" fills the cracks/gaps and makes all look smooth. I think in the future I'll take a stiff bristle brush and scrub the edge after I sand it. Any loose fluff that's filling cracks should get dislodged and allow the gap to show. Thanks, Delta.
happy to help! personally i'd probably pass on the stiff bristle brush. If you have a shop-vac just run it over the edge. suck the dust out without messing with the sanded leather. Good luck!

Back