Built a new Forge

Dwane Oliver

I had a decent forge already , it was just too big....errr long maybe. It works good but takes alot to heat it.
So , I decided to build another one. I already had the 2" KaoWool blanket, found a guy in town that had these "Hi Heat" Kiln bricks for sale ( brand new for $1.50 each ) Old gas can for a shell. Using my existing T Rex Burner.
I built it ontop of my old forge, I figure I will use one for forging and one for welding, IDK.
I coated the inside 2X with ITC 100 and the bottom with 1 brick with 1/4" of Bubble Aluma on top fo that. It seems like it gets real hot on the outside, I'm not real impressed with the KaoWool, maybe I'll put some more ITC 100 in it...IDK if it will help or not.
On to the pictures. It gets good and hot , the last pic its running about 7 psi.

forge2.jpg

forge4.jpg

forge5.jpg

forge3.jpg

forge7.jpg

Forge.jpg

Forge1.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dwane

great build i am doing one right now 1 inch kaowool with soft fire brick over the wool wander how much difference that will make?

Thanks fellas

great build i am doing one right now 1 inch kaowool with soft fire brick over the wool wander how much difference that will make?

IDK , I think the bricks are more insulating than the wool, that might be the ticket.

The old forge is just lined with the soft bricks, it gets warm on the outside, but not hot.

Back