Building a ht oven?

Daniel Macina

Just for fun today I have been reading the plans on DCknives about building a Heat Treat oven. Has anyone build their own heat treat oven? If built correctly doesn't have proper temperature control that it would need for say stainless? I guess bottom line is it worth it? If you've built one I would love to see pictures!

There are many many subtle things to work out, i built my own and in some ways i think it came out better than the same money will when bought... but in many aspects mine came out worse too...

I would go with a variable output PID and a solid state relay and a big fat thermocouple that ages slowly...

But you wont be saving money

I built an oven. It took me a while to scrounge and save to make it. I have about 400 dollars into it. But for some reason it either pops my 220 breakers or the breakers in the control panel. It's not a priority right now but I'd like to get it working. I have some 440c blades to HT. This is the last picture of it. The door is actually finished now.

Jacob

Attachments

• 20180612_155452.jpg
    20180612_155452.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 8
There are people who design things and there are people who build things.Then there is me I buy things because it's cheaper in the long run.Now if you seen my scrap pile of failed knifes you wouldn't argue the point :)

I have pretty well decided at this point that the heat treat oven is not high on my priority list. I only work with simple carbon steels anyways so I can do that in my forge. Nothing wrong with a big old pile of rejects. I bet my piles bigger than yours but I learned something with every one of them!

Back