Buffalo Bone Spear Point

This is a knife I made my dad for his birthday. The blade is cut out of an industrial circular saw blade, the handle is buffalo bone, brass, and and unknown type of Brazilian wood. This was my first time using bone and my first attempt at file work on the spine. It was also my first time trying liner and spacer material. I made a few mistakes with the bone, and the brass hinge I used as a spacer, but I am pretty pleased with how it turned out overall. All comments, critiques and advise are welcome.

I am hoping to start making knives for purchase (on a small scale), so I need to start buying some steel for stock removal. I also need some means of heat treating. I have seen some plans for small propane forges. Any advice for a beginner on what steel to start out with, or affordable heat treatment options for part timers? (Keep in mind I'm a poor college student) Thanks for your interest and input.

Ph2.jpgPh3.jpgPh6.jpg

Looks nice Trent- your Dad should really like that. As far as steel goes, most will tell you to get some 01 tool steel, a bucket of oil and a blow torch, get a heat color chart, grind a few blades and start oil quenching. IMHO I would put together a small propane furnace if you are inclined, get some plates for quenching, buy some 440C bar stock, and grind some some knives of your design- but that's just me.

Back