Buckeye Burl and mammoth ivory

Lerch

I finished this one up over the weekend, its my Huntsman model, 8" OAL with a fore finger rest in front of he guard. this is my first time trying mammoth ivory, i love the way the stuff looks though it does present a few challenges in working it. I tried to seal any small cracks i found with super glue and in the end i think it will be plenty strong. I also tried a darker etch on the blade, unfortunantly after i took the pics i realized there was a finger print on the blade and it needed more cleaning, it looks a lot better now but the pics were done and dang it i just aint that patient, i wanted to show it off now lol :)

Anyway Specs are:
1095 1/8" thick differentially heat treated (clay quench)
brass bolster
white spacers
mammoth ivory
buckeye burl
mosaic pins
stainless lanyard thong

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0764.jpg

I really enjoy the mammoth ivory and the inner rings that you reveal in grinding it, and as always I love working with buckeye, just a awesome wood. I am still trying to figure out exactly what kind of etch i like on these blades, i really like the dark etch i did here but i wouldnt mind figuring out a way to lighten the hardened edge up a little more if any one had any ideas. This was my first time doing a super glue finish on wood, im pretty happy with it though i wondered if a oil rub would have darkened the black portions of the burl any better. the super glue did fill in the small voids and gives me a little more added confidence in toughening up the wood some. All of the brass bolsters i have done in a high polish but this one i left at a very low buff, almost a rubbed finish. Im hoping that might give me some added protection from scratches as that has been a issue in the past

well let me know what ya think

thanks
steve

Last edited:
Thank ya!

Ya im pretty happy with this one, like i said i would like to really get decided on which way i want to etch my blades. I really like the dark etch like this, i just have to find a way to get the hardened edge the way i like it, this i close but just not quite right yet.

Thanks Randy for the tips on how to work with the mammoth ivory, it definitely helped!!

if anyone has any recommendations on something i should have done differently let me know

thanks
steve

Thank ya guys

I went after the blade with some 000 rubbing polish tonight while watching the OKC Thunder kick butt (or stress me out lol) I got the blade a little more like i am thinking i want my finish to be, i will post some pics tomorrow and yall let me know what ya think

thanks

steve

So i worked on the finish a little bit and got it more of the way i want. I wanted the blade to have a nice gray patina'd look to it and a very dark hamon and im pretty happy with it now

couple o pic's

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

critique's are welcome

thanks

steve

Back