Brut de Forge Mountainman

Kampman Knives

This is my fist post, sorry if my english is crap i am Dutch.
I start forging knives since almost 2 years ago on a coal fire after i have seen a documentary from Ron Woods (WoodsMaster ) with Thai Goo and Tim lively - Thank Guys:))

Here a few photo's of my Brute de Forge Mountainman knife, made out of Eggerling damascus, hidden tang, drop point hunter, convex edge, Deer antler and a 17th century pirates trading/ships coin of copper, butcapp out of abalone shell.

The second knife is a Camp/field knife " Forg de Brut" e - i name it Mountain, hidden tag Modified CM60 steel (Mercedes spring steel), light drop point, triangle arrow head hammerstroke pattern, handle made out of desert Ironwood Burl with silver/Nickel pin and a Dutch silver coin from 1930 with the face of the queen cut in two - i did this cause the knife was finished on the day that hour queen stopped being queen and passed it on to her son our new king now.
Anyway hope you like it, and thanx for watching, take care Igor!

foto.jpgfoto(1).jpgfoto(4).jpgfoto(3).jpgfoto(5).jpg
DSC00257.jpgDSC00258.jpgfoto(14).jpgfoto(13).jpgDSC00266.jpg

Last edited:
is there a reason the heel of the edge is deformed on the camp knife?[/QUOTE]

Thanx Randy and Laurence!!
... and yes there is a reason, you can sneak up the knife and use it on a more versatile way and it is a safe way to not cut yourself when you place your finger on the edge of the handforged guard/front quill when cutting it with more pressure;)

I just checked out your portfolio Igor and I am very impressed. I am sorry it took me so long to notice but you have a new fan now. Great work! I have been away for awhile and haven't stayed connected and I now see that there are a few really talented Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths that have come up the ladder and taken this art form and movement seriously. It really gladdens my heart and inspires me to get back at it and contribute.

Hey - I was in your country at the time of royal succession. I was looking for fellow knifemakers (I was in Rotterdam doing a research presentation).

Very nice work.
Does a good job of capturing the original Neo aesthetic. I am guilty of making things that don't look like the original forge-finished stuff, or hammer-finished, at least not most of the time. I still post here because I like the people and the ethics from which the movement is derived. I am taking old boards and pipes and making knives, you are taking old coins and making knives.

I guess what I am saying is that, though I don't want to limit, "neotribal," to one particular style, you have surely done a good job of capturing the style that Tim and Tai put out in the Hood's Woods vid. I do love that vid. I used to watch it a lot before work so I would arrive at the University in a good mood!

keep showing us your work!

Thanx Kevin and well said Tim,
I just think that a lot of great Artists/ Neo Tribal Metalsmiths are also pretty introvert and just want to make beautiful things in a sort of zen modus, maybe that's the part why there's not a "real leader or a movement. But don't forget what you guys have done and still do, spreading the word on internet and dvd, this inspired many people out there all over the world to make something without setting up a expensive workshop to create and be happy with what they are doing, which is a great contribution to the Neo Tribal (unknown) Blacksmiths who are following and passing on the art of this style of knife forging.
Doing it this way is a different mindset, it takes passion, commitment, time and love, this is a lifestyle and pure knife making art for me and i think there are so many people out there using that way that this movement is bigger than we all think it is.
Also the world is changed a lot, more people are falling back on being more creative and learning old skills and forgotten skills, they see that how we live we can do more damage than good to nature and ourself, trying to be more self sustainable and living of the land, spending less money on crap or just don't have it etc etc.
All of this plays a role why this movement is growing and why it feels so good to do it,…anyway i stop talking before i say to much,….keep on forging, Cheers Igor;)

I love the Neo look and I guess I fall into that category.....Is there anything else? I like the knives from the op. Very nice....

Back