Bring out the pattern in damascus

Toole

Hi guys,
I need more help how do you bring out the pattern in damascus after it has been polished?
Many Thanks
Jeff Toole

Dip it in ferric chloride is most common I think. It's available at some Radio Shacks as circuit board etchant or in powder form from on line suppliers. Mix 3 parts distilled water to 1 part ferric. Soak the blade for a couple minutes at a time, wipe it down (not aggessively), soak again until you get the look you want. When it's done...I spray it down with Windex to neutralise the etchant. Rubber gloves are a must and don't leave the open container in your shop for long periods of time, the fumes will rust everything and they just aren't good for you. Use the search function on any search engine, you'll find out more than you wanted to know about it. Be safe.

Rudy

Thanks Rudy you know I have never asked a question here that I didn't get a good answer Thank you so much.
Toole

You're welcome, but.....
There's a bit more to it than that and I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I didn't tell you. After you've neutralised the blade and cleaned it (not aggressively), you'll want to go over all the exposed areas of the blade with a high grit sand paper (I use 2000+) very lightly to bring out the high spots for more contrast. IF it's a deep etch, I also give it a wipe with cold blue to darken the low spots then hit the high spots with 2000 paper. Just to give you an idea.
attachment.php

2011_0507canarydamascus0004.jpg

Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back