BOYAR SHULTZ 612 Modification Question

backtines

Hey Guys ,
I recently picked up a real nice Boyar Shultz 612 Surface grinder . I cleaned it up and works real nice .
I was hoping I could use it for surfacing my blades and more so when I start making damascus, but using it with the wheels , doesnt give it the finish I was expecting .. Too Many lines ,and too much time no matter how slow I feed it even with the finest of wheels..

I've seen a bunch of makers use surface grinders , but they're using them with a belt modification which looks like it works awesome . Also they put the blade or billet on the machine and they're done in seconds..

First off you can change the different grits of belts quicker and mostly , its cutting the whole surface of the blade or billet with one pass.. The only feed needed is up and down .. No in and out .

Id love to convert my machine to accept a 2 x 72 belt or something close .

Can anyone steer me in that direction for converting my machine ?

Thanks Mike

I converted my 612 straight away.

It doesn't surface in "seconds" though and moving the table in and out is a must IMHO because of uneven belt wear. Essentially you'll wear a divot in the belt and you won't get a flat surface at all so it does take time.

Perhaps you may get a good final finish with a high grit belt covering the whole blade/billet in a single pass but I think it would be a one use deal to skim a thousandth or two. The fine belts allow a quick and easy clean-up with sandpaper even though you'll have an unsightly finish off the surface grinder.

I'm by NO stretch of the imagination a machinist or expert but I've used my surface grinder ALOT in short period of time.

There's a bunch of great info on belt converting here on KD's.

My conversion is home built and maybe a bit crude in comparison to what others have done with their's but it work's fine ;) I'd be more than happy to get some detailed pics of it if you want.

This is becomming such a popular tool and mod maybe we need a "surface grinder belt conversion" sticky somewhere.

Pics of my conversion and info on contact wheels here-
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?16347-contact-wheel&highlight=sunray

I'd say go for the conversion ! You'll be happy you did.

-Josh

I too converted my 612, and Josh is right on the money.

You still feed in and out. (cross feed, Z axis)

Very seldom do you want to just plunge straight down with your Y axis, and then only for bulk removal.
Final parallelism is done with the traditional surface grinding method.
Back and forth on X while stepping over .050 to .100" on Z

My technique, that I am using today to get bolsters and scales flat with each other is this.
I have a 2" wide, 120g grit belt on there first.
I plunge cut, just moving the Y axis down until I spark on the titanium bolsters.
Then, I switch to a 1", 320g belt, and bring Y down until I start to see sparks.
I cross feed Z until My belt is off the part, feed Y down .0015" and start my back and forth on X
I can cross feed Z .100" per traverse on X
Once I have cross fed all the way off the part on Z, I bring Y down another half a thousandth, and start going the other way, this time feeding .050" per traverse.

Done.

I only use this plunging technique in this one instance really.
There's about .030" - .050" to remove off of each part, so it's quicker this way.
Especially since the bulk of the material removed is laminate.

I don't think I would do it with steel, or Ti.

Back