BOOK ON MOUNTAIN MAN/FRENCH TRAPPER KNIVES

DanF

I have been looking for an instructional book on these for some time, the only ones I have seen are out of print. Anyone know of an in-print book or pamphlet for this style of folder?

Dan what are the names of the good books a who wrote them. That is why I was looking for info on the blade from,,, Last of the Dogmen. We have some very good libraries in town. I might be able to at least scan a few blades?

I have the cover saved on my computer at home, will look it up and post this evening, thanks.

I've been looking for this book for months. I saw a knife made from the instructions in the book on another forum. It was a cool looking knife. If you find it for sale somewhere please let me and I will do the same if I do.

The primitive folders I am interested in was covered in Gene Chapman's book ANTLERS AND IRON II.
From what I could glean from the web, Mr. Chapman had many short books out on primitives and some blacksmithing projects. Looks like a lot of places used to carry them, but there doesn't seem to be anything available online that I could find. I have found a few pages and pictures here and there that a resourceful knifemaker who can backwards engineer stuff may be able to put something together from. I'll attach the front cover of the book, maybe someone will have an old copy. It looks like toward the end of their run, the were putting the short booklets on CD's that could be printed off from a computer (I thought CD's were just sound?).
primitive mountain man folder.jpg

Last edited:
Dan what are the names of the good books a who wrote them. That is why I was looking for info on the blade from,,, Last of the Dogmen. We have some very good libraries in town. I might be able to at least scan a few blades?
Was that the movie with Tom Berringer? Good Flik!

I'll give that a try Dennis-thanks. I have found several different publishers for the same book over a period of years, had not seen Kingston before.

There is actually a WIP on bladesmithforum and they made the knife from that book. Here is the link to it. Very detailed WIP. I have been looking for that book ever since I saw that WIP

I purchased that CD when it was available and have the book on my computer as a PDF. Not sure it would be legal to share but it seems to be unavailable so I'm not sure.

Looks like the printed "booklet" went to a CD format, someone probably owns the copyright.
I just found one copy of the original booklet for sale on Amazon from a used book seller, man did I just pay through the nose for that copy!

This books got my interest now, too. Thanks for posting it; I'm going to try to find a copy.
A few years ago I tried to repair a cheep $12.00 folder with antler. It became a fixed blade instead but would like to try it again. I think this will help out. Thanks for the reference, Dan.

Thanks for that information
For anyone interested I just ordered a copy of Antler and Iron II. I ordered it from Jedediah Starr Trading Co. (JedediahStarr.com)

Thanks Bob, I was able to cancel my original order and ordered the reasonably priced book from your listed source.
While searching for the A and I II, I found a copy of "NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE", by the same author. Looking forward to both.

Thanks for that information

Thanks Bob, I was able to cancel my original order and ordered the reasonably priced book from your listed source.
While searching for the A and I II, I found a copy of "NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE", by the same author. Looking forward to both.

I also got Accoutrements Volume II By James Johnston.

Back