bolts for handle material

AJH_Knives

Hello guys, I have been using pins in my handles. I think I want to move to bolts or something like that.. I have no idea what to look for , or what the different types are good for. can anyone share some knowledge on the subject for us new guys..
Aaron

Personally, I like the Corbys because they are more clean looking. They look just like a large pin. Jantz carries step bits for the sizes of bolts that they carry. You might also consider cutlers rivets though sizing them is a bit trickier. You have to make sure that they aren't too short or too long.

Doug

thanks guys...
just so i understand, corbys will require a special drill bit right?
the acorn nuts look interesting.. can some one tell me how to use them? do you need to counter sink them?

Yes, you need to countersink them. Note the reference that I made for the step bits the Jantz carries. That's what they do. Others use different sizes of regular bits but I find the step bits made for the job to be the easiest way to go. To apply the bolts I glue a scale to one side of the drilled tang, drill the scale from the tang side after the glue dries. Then I glue the other scale on and drill it after the glue dries. The bit used to drill the hole in the tang and the scales should be the same size as the narrow part of the step bit. I then use that hole as a guide for the step bit to countersink for the head of the bolt. Make sure that you have drilled deeply enough for the halves to screw together. I like to put a dab of epoxy to the threads of the bolt as I assemble it. Once they are installed you grind them down to the shape of the handle just like you would for pins.

Doug

Dont forget JP bolts. I make my own and its very easy to do so. It allows you to make custom sizes to fit your needs. simply cut some stock drill and tap for the size bolt or hex you are wanting to use and your done.

For personal opinion: I dislike big blobs of metal in the middle of my nice handles. At this
point I use either 3/16 copper corby bolts or 1/4 copper Loveless with brass screws. The
Loveless do have a visible join between the screw and the copper, but I much prefer a dot
of brass in the middle of my copper to a 1/4" copper blob. Stainless is right out.

I'm also switching more and more to hidden tangs, partly so I don't have this problem and
partly because I like trying to get a good ferrule/guard fit and the rest of the hidden tang
problems.

Corby - less surface area in contact with the elements (no threads showing) - clean

Back