Bolster question

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
I have a set of Damascus and VG-10 Chef blades from Japan. They are obviously in need of handles. Bolsters on there are stainless. Problem is this........
Bolsters are not even on all of the blades. some are fatter than the other side. (I can fix that on the grinder not an issue) Heres the other bigger problem tho. When looking directly at the spine of the blade you can see one of the bolsters is closer to the tip than the other. A couple of the blades are OK.

So cut them off from the back and redo them? cut them off and leave them off?

Larry

SanMaiChefsKnives.jpg

I have a couple thoughts, though I'm not sure they'll be helpful. First, if the bolsters don't line up, one has to question the quality of manufacture. (Could this also be related to the missing handles?) Also, in most areas, the damascus pattern goes right to the edge, suggesting either very little VG10 core or too much thickness behind the edge. There is little or no depth to the damascus pattern.

I guess where I'm going with that is the "silk purse from a sow's ear" thing.

My inclination would be to remove the bolsters and go with all G10 handles, which should stand up to kitchen use and abuse. Hopefully, this can be accomplished without having to re-etch the blade in the ricasso area.

Cool score though. Keep us posted.

Rob!

Last edited:
The blade were sold without handles. The damascus is overlaid on top of the VG-10. Thanks for the info. Larry

I have a couple thoughts, though I'm not sure they'll be helpful. First, if the bolsters don't line up, one has to question the quality of manufacture. (Could this also be related to the missing handles?) Also, in most areas, the damascus pattern goes right to the edge, suggesting either very little VG10 core or too much thickness behind the edge. There is little or no depth to the damascus pattern.

I guess where I'm going with that is the "silk purse from a sow's ear" thing.

My inclination would be to remove the bolsters and go with all G10 handles, which should stand up to kitchen use and abuse. Hopefully, this can be accomplished without having to re-etch the blade in the ricasso area.

Cool score though. Keep us posted.

Rob!

You can resize the length of the bolsters by using a very line piece of metal clamped on the blade and a flat file with a safe edge. Frank

As to the loose bolsters. I would be leary. Try re peening them, but Im not sure you will be happy.
My gut would tell me if they were not right from the manufacturer, re do them. For the work and the cost you already have in them,
I would hate to see you unhappy when hey were done.

Just my $0.02 worth

Would really like to see them when they are done!!!

God Bless
Mike

The blade were sold without handles. The damascus is overlaid on top of the VG-10. Thanks for the info. Larry

Ahhh! Perhaps the manufacturer would replace the ones that aren't right? I bought a McCusta folder a while back, also with a san mai blade. There were some fit and finish issues on it as well as poorly matched scales. McCusta replaced it for me with no flaws at all on the new one and it is absolutely my favorite EDC now.

Hey Mike,
The bolsters arent loose, they're just crooked.....:biggrin: I like the blades themselves, altho they could've been thinner. Thanks Larry

As to the loose bolsters. I would be leary. Try re peening them, but Im not sure you will be happy.
My gut would tell me if they were not right from the manufacturer, re do them. For the work and the cost you already have in them,
I would hate to see you unhappy when hey were done.

Just my $0.02 worth

Would really like to see them when they are done!!!

God Bless
Mike

Last edited:
Ahhh! Perhaps the manufacturer would replace the ones that aren't right? I bought a McCusta folder a while back, also with a san mai blade. There were some fit and finish issues on it as well as poorly matched scales. McCusta replaced it for me with no flaws at all on the new one and it is absolutely my favorite EDC now.

Thats a good idea, but I took these on a trade, so I need to fix them or remove them and / or start over. I may give Frank's suggestion a try. Thanks Larry

Back