Blown forge burner Question

Shane Wink

On my horizontal forge the burner holder is placed on a tangent so that the flames hits the top edge of the forge and creates turbulence within to give a more equal temp, mixing of the gases and to keep the flame directly off the work piece. Now in the plans for a Vertical it shows and says to weld the burner holder straight in. Would welding the burner holder on a tangent benefit the vertical as well?

All of the verticals I've seen have the fire shooting straight in. I think it disperses the heat more evenly and the hot spot is farther away. I've heard of the the hot spot on the wall eating its way through eventually. I think a ceramic cone would be nice to separate the hot blast but that might be impractical.

With the vertical, the work is above the flame so not as important as with the horizontal forge. If you can control the forge atmosphere and get a good burn I figure you have built a good one.

Fred

Thanks Fred, i am following Don Fogg's plans pretty close. My forge body is 10" ID and 18" long 3/8 thick but it was free with one bottom already welded on so you know what they say about a gift horse :) A little over 2 years ago I bought the kaolwool saninite, bubble alumina, ITC, which in now dried out, and most all the parts for a vertical to replace the old mankle but my brother passed away and I forgot about it all. I opened the box from ellis customs, high temp now, today! I did not realize how much of a fog I had been in these past 2 years.

Thanks Fred, i am following Don Fogg's plans pretty close. My forge body is 10" ID and 18" long 3/8 thick but it was free with one bottom already welded on so you know what they say about a gift horse :) A little over 2 years ago I bought the kaolwool saninite, bubble alumina, ITC, which in now dried out, and most all the parts for a vertical to replace the old mankle but my brother passed away and I forgot about it all. I opened the box from ellis customs, high temp now, today! I did not realize how much of a fog I had been in these past 2 years.
I know how that goes. Made me smile about the ITC 100 in brick form. I think many of us have had to deal with that one.

Good luck on the build; sounds like its supposed to happen, Fred

In the plans for Don Fogg's burner he has just the 1 1/4-1" bell reducer on the end of the nipple, but the burner from high temp has a 1" piece of pipe nipple added onto their burner. Does adding the pipe nipple help the burner?

Shane are we talking about the part that goes into the forge body here or the outside? Personally, I don't like any pipe actually sticking into the fire chamber. It will eventually burn off, especially if it is black pipe.

Doug

Yes sir none of the burner will stick into the chamber. I welded a tapped burner holder onto the forge so I am not just sticking the bell coupling into a hole in the side of the forge. I was not sure if the burner design that High temp sells with the added pipe nipple coming off the bell reducer helper with its operation over not having it on the bell reducer. Either way nothing will be in the chamber.

I think any burner should have the ability of adjusting its position relative, to the inside, insulted surface of the forge. All burners have a "sweet" spot where they burn best. If you can change insert position you can change the way it burns and thats a plus.

Looking forward to seeing some pics, Fred

"I see now", said the blind man while talking to his deaf son on the telephone. Ok, it the bell reducer going to the nipple (burner tube) which is inserted through the side of the forge. What that does is to constrict the flow of gasses, and causing it to increase speed and build up pressure as it enters the fire chamber. This helps prevent combustion inside the burner tube, which can happen if the pressure falls off. The pipe glowing red is a dead giveaway. I've seen pictures of blown burners without this feature but most designs that I have seen have them. I guess it boils down to a case of it being better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Possibly with a powerful enough blower you could get by without it.

Doug

Back