Bladesports Cutting Competition here in October - Get your cut on

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I watched the World Bladesports Cutting Competition at the Blade show last weekend. It looks like a blast. All of the participants I talked to had a great time.

It's an activity that I have been meaning to get into but just haven't followed up until now.

I just got off the phone with Donavon Phillips, Executive Director for www.Bladesports.org about getting a sanctioned cutting event here in Mankato, MN.

We have tentatively set up an event for this fall, sometime in October. The exact weekend to be determined.
Donavon will attend along with another certified instructor.

We need at least 5 guys to commit to attend. I will be taking the class along with the others.

These knives are specialized. You will not need a completed knife. Bladesports will cover that and/or you can make one. If you make one on your own, it will need to be approved before the competition. See their web site for details. It is strongly suggested that you contact some of the directors or key figures in this sport for pointers on what in their experience works better. I will be working up a design and sending it to Donavon for review and suggestions myself.

Peter's Heat treat, as a major sponsor, will heat treat your competition cutter for no charge...

Cost will be $140 for the class, membership and sanctioned event on Sunday.
Kind of a breakdown for this is: $75 for the school, $40 membership, $25 for the competition fee. Membership is optional but suggested.

Saturday is spent training on technique and safety along with Sunday morning. The actual event on Sunday will take maybe an hour.

Safety training and certification is mandatory before participation. Think about swinging a razor sharp 8lb knife as hard as you can. Safety matters.

In order to have the class, certification and sanctioned event. I need to get at least 5 other guys that will attend and go through the weekend class. We need at least 4 participants for the event to count towards points for the Nationals and World. Who is interested?

This sounds like a lot of fun, something I would love to try, wish you were about a 1000 miles or more closer to home...

Good luck!

Back