Blade to Handle Ratio

I actually wen to the local auto zone and the guy said it was for paint... I guess I just don't know enough about this stuff yet to be able to buy with confidence unless it says for metal use on it

Unless your are making steel handled knives? You will need both kinds of paper anyway!

For Wood and Micarta handles any Garnet paper will work,Then use wet & Dry Black Silicon carbide paper for hand finishing steel..
Norton Brand is better than 3M in my book. Many are happy with the 3M.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

2012-05-25_21-14-16_508.jpg2012-05-25_21-14-48_890.jpg2012-05-25_21-16-06_326.jpg

I think I'm ready to send my first knife to heat treat? (Besides drilling some holes in it) Let me know what you guys think... Definitely not perfect but I'm doing my best with these hand tools.

Since you are using hand tools, I would do as much as possible before H.T.

Drill your holes now and it's hard to tell from the pics? But I would deepen the plunge line where the blade bevel starts by the Ricassio and distal taper the blade more towards the tip.

Looks better than my first attempt so far. There wasn't a internet when I started. Keep at it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

You're already doing better than I did on my first knife. I agree that the plunge needs to be more pronounced. If it were me I would take just a little more off the blade width. You dont have to, there are no rules. Like Laurance said, do as much as you can before you send it out to treat, you will be doing yourself a big favor. The metal is harder to work when its been hardened.

Yea, I'm trying to take it down to the thickness of like a dime. I'm just afraid to do to much and have the knife come back cracked after HT. As for the plunge line I kinda messed it up a bit when I slipped with the file but when I go to thin out the blade some more I might try to fix it a bit

Back