Black knive blade ???

So if my handle wasn't hardened it won't take the same etch? That would make perfect sense. When I quenched the blade, the end of of the handle was not fully submerged in the quench. That would explain why the top of the handle was dark, but as it worked its way towards the bottom of the handle the blade would be softer. I hand sanded the whole thing sufficiently to the point where no decarb should have been present on the entire blade.
I also made sure to where rubber gloves from the time I started wiping it down till I had it submerged in the PCB.

I guess I'll take it back down to bare metal on this on, and try something a little different on the next. Thanks for your help!

-Aaron

So do you guys etch these with the handle on? Does it not affect the epoxy? If you etch it before you put on the handle, how do you transition where the black is ground off the tang when shaping the handle? (Assuming a full tang of course) if anyone has any pictures of this that would be awesome. Also, you can get the same acid as the pcb etchant at Home Depot. Just go and ask for muriatic acid. It come in half gallon jugs for the same price. I think it is over by the tile and flooring

So do you guys etch these with the handle on? Does it not affect the epoxy? If you etch it before you put on the handle, how do you transition where the black is ground off the tang when shaping the handle? (Assuming a full tang of course) if anyone has any pictures of this that would be awesome. Also, you can get the same acid as the pcb etchant at Home Depot. Just go and ask for muriatic acid. It come in half gallon jugs for the same price. I think it is over by the tile and flooring

I etch before handle glue up. On the tang after everything is to final shape I take a qtip and use cold blue multiple coats to get it black.

Back