Black Epoxy?

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
Hello gang

How can I make Epoxy black? I was thinking food coloring or printer ink? Thanks

I was asking the same question about a week ago and opted for using the Testor brand flat black enamel. It worked, but the epoxy was still a bit translucent (with two drops of paint). I think next time I will try the printer ink.

I've used enamel model paint and Rit liquid and Rit powder dye. I had the best luck with the powder dye. It takes very little of any of them to get it black.

I like using pigment for paint. I take little bottles to my losal Ace Hardware, or any place where they mix house paint. I get blue, yellow, and red, which makes it possible to make a rainbow of colors. I also get black and white, which I use by themself, or mix in with the other colors to lighten or darken. A drop goes a long way. Use Very little.
Dave

I believe it is Texas Knife Supply that sells bottles of epoxy dye. I got some black from them and let me tell ya a little goes a long ways. The have a lot of colors to choose from. I would like to get some red and blue to fill in file work on full tangs. Might look kinda cool.

I have the Texas kms dye, I dip the point of a drywall screw in it, then mix into the epoxy. use a SMALL amount. I'm sure you could use a toothpick tip. And it will turn the epoxy absolutily BLACK!

check out a seller on ebay named resinobsession, i just bought 2 jars of fine powder pigment for less then 10 dollars shipped. they have many colors and glow in the dark colors also

I have been using a drop of India ink black that I got from Hobby Lobby. One jar should last me until 2040!

I always use chalkline chalk that you can get at any hardware store. Lowes has the biggest variety of colors. I mixed it with epoxy for inlays on turkey calls.

Back