Bent Stock

Mike Martinez

After a week of not being able to do much in the shop, I threw my doctor's suggestions to wind and decided that with only a day left before surgery, any harm done would be repaired soon. I go in and grab some Aldo 1084 2x 3/16 and cut a 12" section. Before slathering on the Dykem and transferring over the pattern, I decided to check the piece for flatness. As it turns out, it is bent enough to cause issues with my grind lines but not so much that I could scrap the piece and start fresh.

Before I started checking for flatness, many a blade was ruined by bad stock and lack of experience working it. Now I'd like use this piece of 1084 but don't know whether to try and straighten it now, or after profiling (before grinding bevels). How do you guys proceed from point onward?

Thanks for any tips and advice.

I'd hit it with a hammer....:biggrin:

Seriously, it should be annealed and fairly easy to bend back. Just don't try it after it is hardened.

What George said.
When I use to see a slight bow in steel I would just profile cut and then grind it flat again on the flat platen.

All in a days work! If I had a surface grinder, It would be that much easier. You do end up with a slightly thinner knife. Variety is the spice of life!

If it's too bent, I would send it back! That's the reason I now have all my steel ground at the mill to 125-135" and 120 Grit.

It cost more,but alleviates problem such as that.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I would file/grind it flat. I learned to mark it up with a magic marker, that way you can see your low and high spots.

Martin

Back